cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I unsubscribe a contact?

SOLVED
Highlighted

How do I unsubscribe a contact?

This used to be quite simple, and now I can't find how to manually unsubscribe a contact. I've looked through the help stuff and have not found an answer. I don't want to just remove them, I need to know they have opted out. Thank you.
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES
CTCT Employee

Re: How do I unsubscribe a contact?

Thank you for your inquiry on this and I am sorry for the trouble this has caused.  In order to unsubscribe someone you would go into that contacts details, click where it says permission to send next to the email address and in that drop down select unsubscribed. 

Permissions.jpg

Jared M.
Product Manager
Occasional Visitor

I followed the instructions to unsubscribe an individual contact.

As of right now I was unable to make a selection from the "Permission to send" menu in Google Chrome.

I logged into my account in Internet Explorer and was able to select each option and update the contact. Perhaps a compatibility test is needed for the much used Google Chrome.

CTCT Employee

@SteveH927 

Our apologies Steve! The fact that it is working in one of two browsers for you, and I am able to set permissions from Chrome on my end is leading me to believe this may be a plug-in or extension related issue. What I would ask you to do in this case, to resolve the Chrome issue specifically is run your Chrome browser in "Incognito" mode. 

I have a strong inclination that if you do so, you will see the permission set issue you're currently running into resolved.

If not, please do let us know and I will absolutely troubleshoot further!

Best,

Ian W

Community & Social Media Support Intern
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ian,

How are we be able to unsubscribe contacts in batches? I need to unsubscribe 1500 people, but surely I don't have to go into every single one and flip the flag.

Regards,

Nick

CTCT Employee

@NicholasW174 

If you'd like to unsubscribe multiple contacts you can do so upon importing. I just want you to be sure that this will remove them permanently remove the contacts from the account or until they themselves resubscribe. You will need to turn this setting on however, by going to the "My Settings" section of the page in the top right hand corner. 

Then, once in my settings, scroll down to "Contact Settings" and then check the check box labeled "Enable Advanced Email Permissions" and then select Save.

enable advanced email permissions.jpg

Now, next time you go to import an excel file, you will have an option to "Import to unsubscribe" and this will effectively unsubscribe every contact in the file you're attempting to import.

Best,

Ian W

Occasional Advisor

Ian, 

Thanks for the swift response. I'll check it out!

CTCT Employee

@NicholasW174 

Glad to help! Let us know if theres anything else we can assist with.

Best,

Ian

It did not work in Chrome for me either. I did same with Internet Explorer.

Also did NOT work in Google Incognito.

Tags (1)
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!