cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Re-subscribe someone who Opted Out

Honored Contributor

How to Re-subscribe someone who Opted Out

UPDATED: June 2018

Do you have someone who accidentally opted out, or opted out but wants back on your list? Here’s how you can get them back on your list.

If you have a Join My List form on your website, direct them to sign up for your list again. If you do not have a website sign up form, you can send them a link to your Form. To get the link you can go to Sign-up Forms > Landing Pages and More, then click on the actions options to the right of your Sign-Up Form and choose Form URL.

5298-sign-up-forms-step-1.png

NewSignUp_LandingPagesAndMore (1).png

2018-06-27_11-52-26.png

If they check their inbox and still have an old campaign you’ve sent, contacts can also resubscribe through the Update Profile link in the footer of this email.

Update_Profile_email_link (2).png

Through both of these solutions our system recognizes that the email address was opted out at one point and asks them if they wish to Update their Profile. Once the submit button is clicked, we send an email to that address to ensure the right person is signing up again. In that email there is a link to Update their Profile. Clicking on this link they will then confirm their interests in joining your email list.

Want to edit the Update Profile form?  Check out this FAQ.  If you do not have a website form, or your contact can not find an old email in their inbox, here are the steps to resubscribe contacts from your account.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to Re-subscribe someone who Opted Out

We have contacts who have unsubscribed from marketing mail but we still want to contact regarding events, etc. Constant Contact tells me they're unsubscribed, but I want to re-subscribe them to certain lists (we have their permission for this.) Everything I'm reading tells me that when I re-subscribe them to these lists they'll receive an email to confirm that subscription. Is there a way to opt out of sending them this email?

I know it's going to confuse these contacts -- we're not trying to get them to re-subscribe to all of our marketing mail, we just want to contact them about one event. How do I turn off this re-subscribe email for contacts? 

I turned off the "confirmed opt-in" email but it looks like that is something different. 

Highlighted

Hi @cmaggio 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. I apologize for any confusion there may be with resubscribing this contact. At this time our resubscribe process does send an automatic confirmation email. Do you have an email from your contact requesting to be added back into your account? If not, we suggest having your contact forward you an email like this. Once you receive this confirmation please call into our Support, so one of these agents can further assist with any contact stuck in awaiting confirmation. 

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
All Star

One of the biggest drawbacks for Constant Contact. I've worked with half a dozen other email providers and none of them require this onerous resubscription process. 

Tags (2)
CTCT Employee

Hello SteveD11 and thank you for reaching out with your feedback. We do apologize for any inconvenience in the process to re-subscribe a contact, but these methods are in place to ensure you and your account stays compliant with the CAN-SPAM laws. This requires that if a contact took an action to say they didn’t want to receive emails from someone, we would need their explicit permission to add them back in. As an alternative to the method above you can also have an unsubscribed contact re-sign up using a sign up form to be placed back on your list. This would be another way the contact could give us express permission to receive emails again.  

Antonas_S
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.