cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete contacts that have never opened one of my emails

Occasional Contributor

How to delete contacts that have never opened one of my emails

Hi ! recently i moved from  to Constantcontact  i had 5000 emails , now i have seen only an average of 2000 are actually reading what i send , the question is   :  how can i delete all the emails ( or unsubscribe )  that have never opened  one of my emails ???  

25 REPLIES 25
Honored Contributor

Re: How to delete contacts that have never opened one of my emails

Hello @DanielC410

We do not have a way to see a list of contacts who have never opened your email.  What you can do though is to create a list of all of your contacts, then go through the Opens reports for your emails, select the contacts and then click "Add to Email Lists" and uncheck the list you created of all of your contacts.  Once you do this step for each of your campaigns that you have sent, you will be left with the contacts that have not opened one of your emails.  You can then manage the list how you would like, to delete the contacts or to export them and upload them to the unsubscribes.  

Please keep in mind that there are some opens that we cannot track, here's more information on that, so if you choose to delete these contacts you might be deleting ones who are opening the email. Another option might be to try to re-engage these contacts by sending them a confirm campaign or a special/deal.  

unopened emails

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to find you the contacts who do not open up the email/newsletter that we send out. Some emails just may be old? Or the contact no longer has that email?
Tags (2)
Honored Contributor

Re: unopened emails

Hello @LauraM3142

It is a great idea to get a list of contacts who haven't opened your email.  You can send targeted emails to them and try to re-engage with them.  For some detailed steps on how to create this list of contacts, look at this post "How to create an un-open report for a time frame" by @Anna_D.  

How can I find who NEVER opens my emails?

There is important information which you do not provide about contacts. I need to know who never opens my emails. Where would I find that? thanks, --S

Re: How can I find who NEVER opens my emails?

Hello @SusanT7. At this time, we do not have a feature that will find what contacts have never opened your emails. I will send some feedback on your behalf to our engineers about this request. I am also including a link to a Community post that one of our Support team members created that explains how you can create this list yourself. I think that creating this list would be very useful for managing your contacts.

How to create an un-open report for a time frame

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
All Star

Caitlin, I have the same question, and I read the post you linked to, which starts with a list of all contacts and subtracts those who did open for a period of time, leaving a list of who did not open. I have started from the opposite direction and am hoping you can tell me what to do next. I have already created a list of those who DID open during 2016. I would like to delete everyone ELSE, but still have a record of them, like I have a record of unsubscribers. Help?

Hi @HazelT3. What I can suggest for you is to do an advanced search for everyone who isn't on your open list. 

advancedsearchlist.png

After you search for those contacts, you can export those contacts so you have a record of them. From there, if you wish, you can then delete the contacts

Caitlin M.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
All Star

Hmmm.... I'm hesitating to delete anyone because the numbers don't add up. Perhaps you can tell me what I'm overlooking? 

Active = 1407, Unsubscribed = 433, View All Contacts = 1969.  Yet, adding Active + Unsubscribed = Manual Total 1840.

(Manual Total does not match All Contacts.)

Manwhile, new list "ACTIVE during 2016" = 960, and Advanced Search for [List + is not + "ACTIVE in 2016"] = 1001.

Manual Total 1840 - 1001 = 839.  And All Contacts 1969 - 1001 = 968.

Hi @HazelT3. View All Contacts includes active, unsubscribed and any contacts who don't have email addresses. So according to those numbers, there are 129 contacts in your account who don't have email addresses. You could delete these contacts because they don't even have email addresses in the account and therefore, weren't receiving your emails. 

Caitlin M.

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!