cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

SOLVED

Re: How to track contacts who never open emails

Hannah, your original response from January 2013 indicates there would be improvement in that year.  Can you advise if there is now a way to report contacts that haven't opened emails during a certain date range (i.e. last 6 months)?

Honored Contributor

Hi @SharonT9 

Thank you for posting. I am not seeing any new information regarding seeing contacts who haven't emails over an extended period of time. You can vote for this here in our Feedback Area.

I apologize for any inconvenience. Follow that thread for updates on that feature request! It's updated by our Developers and Moderators!

Occasional Advisor

Do we really need to be voting for this, wen it should be a standard tool available to us?

We're told Constant Contact is the market leader, but if other companies as shown above can give their customers this information, why can't you?

Customers have been asking for this for years now, it does seem like it's available but you don't want to give us this information as we'd all reduce our contact lists accordingly.

We only want 'constant contact' with our 'constantly reading' customers, not 'constantly not opening' people!

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Let's face it guys their generic responses "We are installing new featuers" and the ridulous instruction on how to delete people AFTER YEARS of asking leads me to believe they will NEVER add this feature. They lose money if they do. So they act dumb and give brain dead replies to MANY simple requests.  I am looking at **Removed by Moderator** who sends out up to 2000 emails FREE and I have under that amount on CC, in addition they have auto features like Feedburner updates where you emails can do out automatically. So far I'm loving it. Iwill be leaving CC soon. I'm tired of their lies and misguided "help"

All Star

I have been asking for this forever and always get the same response that it "isn't an option as of now."

Ugh.

I know most other companies offer it -- but I am too lazy to switch.

Just hoping CC will eventually provide this -- but surely their reason for not doing so is fear of loss of income.

Honored Contributor

Hello @LarryC47161 , 

Thank you for posting.  Can you also vote for this idea here?  You can click the +Vote to add a vote and then comment, if you would like.  Any other feedback that you have can also be left here.  By voting on the ideas in our Feedback area, it shows our development team that these are features that you (our customers) want.  

Thanks, 

Honored Contributor

Re: How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

Hi Michelle,

To remove your contacts who haven't opened your email, you can follow the instructions below. Just a note, not all contacts will show up as opens.  We track opens by inserting a 1px by 1px image and when the contact allows images to be viewed, that counts it as an open.  We also only store data for the past 85 days. So you'll be able to remove only up to 90 days ago.

To remove contacts who didn't open:

1. Go to Email Marketing > Reports
    Note: If the email is an autoresponder, click Email Marketing > Autoresponder.
  2. Go to the "Opens" column and click the hyperlinked number.  The "Opened Contact Emails" page lists the email addresses for the contacts who opened this email. 
    Note: If the email is an Autoresponder, the list only shows contacts that have viewed the email in the past 90 days.
  3. Click the Save as List button.
  4. Type the name of a new list or select an existing list in which to save these email addresses.
  5. Click Add Contacts to List.  The adding begins and usually takes place immediately. However, larger lists may take up to 2 hours.

I hope that helps!  Let us know if you have any questions!

Valued Contributor

Re: How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

Hi Michelle,

A thought for you: it seems a bit of a shame to delete contacts who initially signed up to receive your newsletter.  You might consider changing some of the parameters for those "never opens" - try separate mailings to them, with a different subject line and a different frequency (less frequently).

You might capture some of them back.

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if there are questions regarding anything I have written.

Regards,

Robert

Honored Contributor

Re: How to delete contacts that haven't opened emails in last few months

Michelle,

Robert has a great point.   I copied this from another thread I am involved in as it pertains to this topic as well.

Inactive Subscribers.

"Anyone who hasn't opened an email from you or clicked on a link over a period of time can be deemed "inactive." These people are not lost forever, however. Contrary to what you might think, they are like potential new clients, but even better! They loved you before. Now is your chance to make them fall in love with you again. Recently I received an email from a shopping site I used to frequent but had, over time, just stopped paying attention to. The email acknowledged I hadn't shopped there for a while and offered an enticing incentive to get me back. My interest was piqued on two levels: I felt special and I was getting a great offer. The result? I clicked through, the site was back on my radar, and I made a purchase within a week."

Source: The ClickMail Marketer

Before you delete them, try creating a few special pieces with a custom subject line to draw them back in. Then if that fails. BLOW THEM UP. 

How's this for an easier way to clean house. I do this for clients anytime they get close to the next boundary in the price list.  I want a strong large list but don't want to pay for inactive addresses. This also assumes you are practicing "safe bounce".

1.) Make a back up of your master list by downloading it.

2.) Create a new list for "The Openers"

3.) Go over your last X number of emails and merge all the folks that have opened something to the list in step 2.

4.) This should now be a "new"master list of all the folks that have interacted with you.

5.) Delete your "old" master list.

Rise and repeat.

Occasional Visitor

Removing contacts from a list

How do I remove contacts from the Did Not Open List?