cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

How to I delete contacts that are sent my emails weekly, but haven't opened my emails for months after initially signing up to receive them? 

Out of 700 emails sent only about 250 ever open them every week.

135 REPLIES

Report for contacts who don't open the e-mails

I've been searching around on the reports looking for a list of my contacts who are NOT opening my e-mails?  I'd like to send them sort of a "last chance" e-mail before I remove them.  I'm trying to stay under the 500 mark and I'm coming close so I need to trim the list of people who aren't even opening them up.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
All Star

Hi, there is no report from Constant Contact for that, but what you can do is export the list of email addresses that opened the email and then recile that with excel and then you will have a list of who did not open the email then you can upload that to CC, you will not add extra contacts that way because each unique email address can be on 20+ lists and only count as 1. This is what I do its supper easy and only takes about 10 Minutes.

I think there should be an easier way to see lists of contacts that haven't opened your last 2, 5, or 8 (etc) emails. It has taken me hours to cross reference unopened email contact lists to ensure I check the last few emails. I don't want to delete someone who just didn't open one.

Removing Contacts if not Opened

I'm considering deleting contacts that have not even opened an email. Is there any good practive to follow when getting rid of non-openers? Should we leave them in there just in case they decide to open? Or is a waste of money? I know you can look at each individual email history, but could there be some kind of report? Anyone have any tips on how they handle this?

Wasn't there some note in the Constant Contact info that said that depending on how users read email, it may not always register *all* users who open the email...? Or am I mistaken? I personally would not delete them unless you're at the threshold of the next pricing tier. And even then I'd only do so if I was sure they had a history of not reading the emails.
Regular Advisor

Hi Shannon. I just finished commenting on a similar question from 7/22. Here is what I wrote: It's important to know how opens are recorded. A small, clear image is inserted into your email when it is sent. Whenever this image loads, it is tracked and reported. This means anyone who receives the text version of your email or does not load the image will not be found among your opens (a lot of mobile devices are still used that do not support images). If you remove all "unopens", you will be eliminating these people. As for seeing a contact's open history, you can view it in the contact's details. In the Contacts tab, search for the contact in question and click on the email address when the search results appear. In the left column, click "Email History". The history goes back 90 days. There is not a way to export this history for all contacts. Finally, if you want a list of confirmed opens, you can view the opens for each email and click "Save as List". You can either create a new list or add them to an existing list. Additionally, Equihab is right: if you are just over, over even approaching, the next contact level, you should clean up a little bit. Remove any bounces that are non-existent or undeliverable. Just be careful with the "unopens" since they may still be readers. -Steve
Contributing Solution Provider

Hi Shannon, It appears that the two previous comments have answered how your reports may be not be accurate relating to your non-opens. Many of my clients use digital devices other than their computer and the report indicates them as a "non-open". Every few months I add a special offer within the body of my email. I give away something for free that would be welcomed by my audience. Not knowing your market/audience it would be difficult to suggest something for you. Other months I add a survey or a poll. Many of the people who show as non-opens on my list are the ones who answer the survey or respond to the free offer. One month I made alot of intentional typos and offered a prize to the first one who sent me the list of corrections, You might consider something similar in your ezine to see how may of your non-openers are really your devoted readers. Wishing you success, Sumner M. Davenport Niche Marketing Consultant
Puzzle Master, Solutions Consultant
Niche Marketing Strategy, Solutions & Support for the solopreneurs; small and mid-sized companies.
Publisher, Author, Speaker

Solutions, not just answers.
One Size does NOT fit all.
Solutions to fit your niche, your business and your budget.
Highlighted

Is there a way to view contacts who did NOT open my e-mail?

Is there a way to view contacts who did NOT open my last e-mail?

Occasional Participant

Is there a way to view contacts who did NOT open my e-mail?

is this your first question. so go get this help from them ...or they just ignore your email you cannot force them that was ..normal!

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!