cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

SOLVED
Advisor

Re: i would like to delete contacts that have not opened in 2 yrs

UPDATED: October 2018

We have recently added the Contacts Segments tool that allows you to create a list of contacts that did not open any of your last 5 emails, a specific email, or any email. Please click here to learn more about using our Segments feature.

-----

Hello,

Thank you for your post. This is a great thing to do, why send an email to someone who has not been opening it? Not only do you not get a true %, but by removing them, it could bring you down to a different pricing tier, saving you money on your Constant Contact account as well.

For step by step instructions on how to remove contacts who do not open your email, please check out these FAQs on how to location contacts that do not open your email and how to remove them from a list.

Ken

KenG
Social Support Intern
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

mass delete of contacts

I am deleting some contacts one by one that have not opened any mails from us in six months or so. Is there anyway to do it with many at a time. Like select and delete anyone that hasnt shown any interest.  Thanks

Tags (3)
CTCT Employee

Re: mass delete of contacts

Hello @4Paws4 

You can certainly mass delete contacts on the contacts page but the Did Not Open reporting will give you a better idea of who may not be opening your newsletters on a consistent basis. From there you can create an Email List of these people and mass delete from the list. Once you are in the new email list, you can click the check-all box & select the More Actions tab to Delete. 

2015-02-03_1220.png

I hope this helps!

Amber Royal
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Occasional Contributor

Removing subscribers who consistently do not open e-mails

I'm trying to remove a significant number of addresses that consistently all into the "unopened" category but there is no drop down option for that. I can only move them to another list, manage tags or quicksend. But, I want them permanently off the list. I do not want to try to get them to open e-mails, I do not want to figure out why they're not opening e-mails. I want to stop paying for them to be on my list.

Thanks!

CTCT Employee

Re: Removing subscribers who consistently do not open e-mails

We have recently added the Contacts Segments tool that allows you to create a list of contacts that did not open any of your last 5 emails, a specific email, or any email. Please click here to learn more about using our Segments feature.

-----

Hello @UrbanC 

In order to remove those who did not open your email, you will need to move them to another list and then delete the contacts from there

To create this new list, you will want to:

1. Log into Constant Contact, click Emails Reports.
  2. Find the email you're interested in your list and click the hyper-linked number in its "Sent" column.
  3. Click "Did Not Open" in the left-hand report options. 
  4. Click the check box in the upper-left corner to select all of the email addresses that didn't open your emails.
  5. Click "Add to Email Lists" in your menu options.
  6. Click "Create a new email list..."
  7. Use the field provided to name the list.
  8. Click Create.
  9. Click Apply.

Once this list is created you will want to head over to your Contacts tab and locate the new list on the left side of the page. You will then click the check box in the upper-left corner to select all of the email addresses, click More Actions in your menu and Delete from the drop-down list. 

This method will delete them from your account. 

I hope this helps!

Amber Royal

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
CTCT Employee

How to create an un-open report for a timeframe

The information below is the steps to manually create a did not open list.

-----

Customers that are actively engaging in your campaigns are great to have. While we wish that all of our contacts opened our campaigns, there are going to be some that do not. Understanding who those people are and how to market to them is important. Tracking who opens your emails and who does not will help you manage your contacts and understand how your marketing is working. Currently you can get a report of who did not open a particular email, but what about in a curtain time frame? Knowing who did not open your email for the last 3 months or 6 months can help you tweak your marketing campaign and/or design a re-engagement campaign.

Before you start creating your list of unopened, it is good to understand how/why we track an email as open. We track opens in two ways. The first way is an invisible embedded image in each email. When the image is downloaded we can count the email as opened. The second way would be if someone clicks on a link in the email. To learn more about what we track as open and what we cannot track click here.

Steps to create a Did Not Open list for a time period:

1. Create a new list named Did Not Open and move all your active contacts into the Did Not Open List
           a.  If you want to see who did not open from a particular list you will copy the contacts from just that list into the Did Not Open list.
  2. Go to the Reports Page
  3. For each email in the time period (the last 3 months, 6months or 1 year) go to the open report.
  4. Select all the contacts that have opened the email
  5. Click on Manage Lists and select Remove From Lists
  6. Select the Did Not Open List and click on Remove
  7. Repeat for each email in the time period

Now that you have a list of those that did not open the email in a certain period you can start your re-engagement campaign. Using our Survey Campaign, you can send them a survey with questions about what topics they want to hear about so the newsletter is relevant to them and their interests. You will want to make this short. You can also offer an incentive for them to take the survey. You can also reach out to these customers with a special promotion to refresh their interest in your company. To help keep your list clean you can also decide to delete or unsubscribe those contacts.

Anna Davila

All Star

How to filter customers who are not opening emails

Hello All,

Was wondering if anyone knows how I can find/filter all customers who have never or rarely open our emails? I would like to delete them or maybe organize them into a list where I can send them one last email to see if they would like to stay on our list or be unsubscribed.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
Participating Solution Provider

Re: How to filter customers who are not opening emails

Hi Carol, I'm working on this right now and here's what I'm doing. I wait about 3 weeks after an email goes out. I go to reports and click on Opens. I select all those names and put them into a list called Opens 2016. I do this with each email I send out (you might want to segment them by your list names so you don't mix them all into one list) and over the period of 6 months I've gotten a pretty good number in my Opens list. I did the same thing with Did Not Opens so I have a list of those folks as well. Today I turn on the opt in confirmation feature that Constant Contact offers and sent out a confirmation email to the Did Not Opens to allow those folks one last chance to opt in and receive my emails. If they don't, I will delete them.

That being said, remember that someone might not open a few emails and then come back but my list is as old as Constant Contact and really needed a good cleaning from a financial standpoint and I want to make sure my readers really want my news since we are paying by the number of emails addresses, it's important to cull your list once every few years in my opinion.

CTCT Employee

-----

Hello @Skatemore and @CarolA74

Reviewing your contacts is a great way to keep your contact list clean and growing! There is a great article in the community called "How to create an un-open report for a timeframe" to help you create a list of those that did not open your campaigns and what you can do to re-engage them.

Anna Davila

All Star

And thank you too Anna_D for your input.