cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

SOLVED
Occasional Participant

Re: How to track contacts who never open emails

I have been saying this for years. Constant Contact will not create a report such as this because it will reduce our mailing list and Constant Contact will lose money. I have 700 more people I want to add more than 60% of the people on my list are not opening and I want to delete them before I add 700 more which will INCREASE my price. I can't believe Constant Contact is not aware of how much this can help users... I think you guys don't WANT to help us with this.

Kevin

Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

We're more concerned with the quality of your list and not the quantity. We would rather see you have a list that performs well than a list full of contacts that do not open your mail or bounce. We do track opens via a 1 pixel image in your email. If images are not downloaded, the open will not track. Because of this, there could be contacts opening your emails that are not being counted.

One way to determine if a contact is still interested in your email is by doing a confirmed opt in mailing. This mailing will contain a link. If a contact does not click the link to confirm their interest, then they will not be added back into your list.

To do a confirmed opt in mailing, follow these steps:

1. Enable your account for Confirmed Opt-in if it is not already turned on.
  2. Use the "Confirm Permission" template to send a confirmation email to the group of subscribers.

From the My Settings > Manage My Settings > Confirmed Opt-in ON screen:

1. Click the "Send a Confirm Contacts Email (Optional)" link.
    2. Enter an email campaign name and click Next.
    3. Go through the wizard, adding content as necessary.

Note: We strongly recommend that you do not change the text in the body of the message as this may decrease the number of subscribers who follow through and confirm their permission.
    4. When you have finished, click Save & Next.
    5. Select the list that will receive the campaign and click Next.
    6. Set the email campaign delivery date and click Finish.

From the Email Campaigns > Create screen:

1. Enter an email campaign name and click Next
    2. Below the template categories in the left column click the "Create a confirmation email" link.
    3. Go through the wizard, adding content as necessary.

Note: We strongly recommend that you do not change the text in the body of the message as this may decrease the number of subscribers who follow through and confirm their permission.
    4. When you have finished, click Save & Next.
    5. Select the interest category that will receive the campaign and click Next.
    6. Set the email campaign delivery date and click Finish.

Remember to turn Confirm Opt-in back off if you do not want to automatically confirm new subscribers at signup.

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Honored Contributor

"We're more concerned with the quality of your list and not the quantity. We would rather see you have a list that performs well than a list full of bounce backs. "

Perhaps I am missing something.  I read this topic to be folks concerned with email that was not opened and not email that was bouncing.  The bouncers are a no-brainier.  Two different scenarios in my mind. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for pointing out my mistake Tony. I'll fix my post.

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Highlighted

This is a major problem that should be a simple solution for Constant Contact to implement. It would be extremely helpful to be able to run this report without wasting countless time trying to manipulate the data.

Frequent Visitor

There is a product on AbleBits.com that removes duplicates Plus the first entry from spreadsheets in Excel.

Its called Removing Excel Duplicates. - it goes beyond what the standard remove duplicate does that comes with Excel

There is a 15 day trial

Export your list of all contacts

Then export list of contacts that opened emails

Merge them into the same spread sheet in excel

Run ablebits duplicate wizard in excel

Remove duplicates +1 (original)

What is left is those that never opened your email. Load them back into constant contact to do a seperate email to those.

Or do what ever you want with them

Regular Participant

Thanks for that work around Dennis while we continue to work on a Did Not Opens report.  I want to also reiterate that someone that opens your email and is not displaying images in their email program will not be counted as an open unless they click on a link.  This is how every email company tracks opens.  So, it is possible to have people that will tell you they opened and read your email but they still appear as if they did not.  This is why we do not recommend removing everyone that appears as having not read your email.

Over the course of several email campaigns you can assume that those people that have images turned off will always have them off and those that have them on will always have them on, so you can track the improvement in open rate over time. 

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan Mandell
Product Manager - Reporting and Analytics
Regular Participant

For anyone interested I will be holding a webinar next Tuesday from 4-5 EST where I will walk though some new reporting concepts.  You have all been great at giving me some valuable feedback, so I would love it if you could join me.  There are only 15 spots open so please register.

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=v58u9ghab&oeidk=a07e5sn5rmreea09af6

Thank you so much,

Jonathan 

Jonathan Mandell
Product Manager - Reporting and Analytics
Occasional Participant

First off I am glad I found this post as I like many of the users have been looking for a better way to do this. Thank you for all the CC Staff replys as well, they've been quite comical in answering all the customer concerns without actually addressing the concern. The one post early one nailed it on the head. If CC has better list hygiene features then people will have smaller list and thus not have to spend as much.

Theres a saying in Marketing about how many people a happy customer will tell versus how many people an unhappy customer will tell.

I suggest you take a look at Benchmark Email. They are copying you for the most part so perhaps you should copy them on three great points. First they put it right in every customers face that they want CUSTOMER feedback to drive innovation and product upgrades/changes. Second, they listen (my "account manager" is abysmal). Third they have a feature that will automatically delete subscribers that dont open your emails within a set number of campaigns (5, 10, 15 ,etc).

Im currently demoing them for a potential switch. We will see what happens. Oh and iContact your third competitor is coming down the pipeline with an equally powerful list hygiene tool. Your welcome for the competitive intelligence.

Occasional Advisor

''First they put it right in every customers face that they want CUSTOMER feedback to drive innovation and product upgrades/changes. Second, they listen (my "account manager" is abysmal). Third they have a feature that will automatically delete subscribers that dont open your emails within a set number of campaigns (5, 10, 15 ,etc)''.

I would welcome this, this is exactly what I would want to save me sending emails which are never opened, and more importantly NOT PAYING for emails which are never opened!

Thanks for the information BryonW, it seems I and many others may also follow suit and demo Benchmark for a potential switch if this isn't something CC can deliver but they can