Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

SOLVED
Regular Participant

Re: How to find all emails that never open

Hi Tom,

We have been working hard on these reports and I would love to show you the progress we have made.  Would you be willing to chat about this next week sometime?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan Mandell
Product Manager - Reporting and Analytics
Occasional Participant

I would be delighted.

email me at tomd@nlpco.com and let's set up a time.

Occasional Advisor

I have been asking for this reporting feature since CC started and given the same "create a new list from opens" but oh by the way, we track with a 1 pixel image and if they don't load images we can't tell so you might lose some important customers.

Please...especially in this economy give us a report feature that everyone has been asking for since.......forever...

Tags (1)
Occasional Participant

Please read my previous posts... you are asking for the impossible... anti-virus software and SMPT Gateways can easily (and regularly do) block automatic responses... give it up. I know that I expect my security software to block any info sent without my permission!

Occasional Advisor

I've had to work with other email marketing companies for my clients that have the report. I just happen to like all the features of Constant Contact best. How do they do it?

Regular Participant

I am sorry for the frustration this has caused you and everyone that wants an accurate report to understand whether their customers are opening emails.  The earlier comments about the tracking pixel are correct.  The way Constant Contact and all other email companies track if an email has been opened is by having this invisible image displayed to the recipient.  If their email program blocks images or if they choose not to display them then we do not count it as an open in our opens report.  Additionally, this will be counted as a did-not-open when we release our did not opens report.

This is my challenge.  I want to be as accurate as possible in the information I show you.  But I don't want to confuse or mislead anyone.  The customers I have met with have told me that what is most important is to know who is not opening so they can remove them from their list.  The two best methods that customers have come up with to ensure that their list contains people that are still interested in hearing from them are:

1.  Ensure that you have links in your email since those are always tracked.  In fact if a link is clicked we will automatically count that as an open as well regardless if they are displaying images.

2.  Send a "are you still interested" email.  Send this either to your whole list or if you have a list of customers that are not opening emails (using the method at the start of this post - and eventually using the did not opens report).

Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you might have.  I will continue to listen to you needs and try to build the best solution possible to meet those needs.

Thank you,
Jonathan 

Jonathan Mandell
Product Manager - Reporting and Analytics
Occasional Participant

Hi Jonathan,

Posting that very clear explanation of how tracking works (and where it doesn't) where people are sure to read it when first signing up would avoid a lot of disappointment.

Given what  you have explained, it seems logical that plain text emails also would fail to register as "opens", unless, a link placed by the sender (me) was clicked on by the recipient. Is that accurate?

Thanks,

Tom D

Valued Contributor

Hi Tom,

So you would be accurate with your text e-mail inquiry; as there is no automatic communication with Constant Contact when a text document is opened, a tracked link is the only way we would be able to tell if someone opened your newsletter.

Thank you so much!

Joe

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Occasional Participant

Thanks for the confirmation, Joe. I don't see where to mark "accepted solution", though.

Occasional Advisor

What's interesting is in the beginning days of email with America Online, you could tell if your mail was read or not. Wonder how they did it.

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!