cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

SOLVED
Honored Contributor

Is there a way to view contacts who did NOT open my e-mail?

UH? Did the 70's come back??? Email sent - Folks who opened - bounced addresses = folks that did not open. Folks that never received it is a tougher question.

Occasional Advisor

You know, I would like an answer to this question as well. If I'm correct, this person is wanting to also know how to not only see who opened or didn't open your email, but how to edit people who are not opening them. Not just the bounces.

Honored Contributor

UPDATED: October 2018

We have recently added the Contacts Segments tool that allows you to create a list of contacts that did not open any of your last 5 emails, a specific email, or any email. Please click here to learn more about using our Segments feature.

The information below is the steps to manually create a did not open list.

-----

Hello everyone,

We do have a feature that allows you to see who has not opened a particular email campaign.   With this report, you can see who has not opened a particular email or have not opened over a period of time.  To do this follow the steps below:

First, you will copy all your contacts into a new list.  Create a new list add call it “did not open in progress” Then create another new list and call this one something like “Opens since March 2017” (You can pick any date range you like)

After creating the list go over to the reporting tab.  If you are looking for a particular time frame, click on the number of opens for the first campaign sent during the beginning of the time frame you were looking for.  Select all of the contacts (the opens) , and click Manage Lists and click “Add to Lists” Select the list you created, in our example,  “Opens since March 2017” Once these have been added go back to the reporting tab and repeat the steps with every campaign that has been sent since then.  This should leave you with a list of contacts who have opened your email for the date range you have chosen.  

Go to Contacts tab and open the “Opens since March 2017” list, select all the contacts in that list.  Click Manage List and choose Remove from Lists.  Select the “did not opens in progress” list and click Remove.  All the contacts remaining in the “did not open in progress” lists are the contacts who have not opened the emails since the date range you selected.  

I hope that helps,

Marissa W.

Community & Social Media Support Representative

Tags (1)
Occasional Participant

How to track contacts who never open emails

How can I track the contacts who do not open my email newsletters
Honored Contributor

Re: How to track contacts who never open emails

Hi Sharon, To view those that haven't opened your email, you can follow the instructions in this FAQ 5990. This FAQ shows you how to resend to those that haven't opened your email. You can just follow the instructions up to the resending part. I hope that helps! Marissa W. Community & Social Media Support Representative

Occasional Participant

No it really doesn't. I am trying to tracking who hasn't opened my emails over several months so I can delete them. There should be a way to have a report that does this. Like, who didn't open my email this month, last month. Knowing CC, there probably isn't anything like that but it would be nice.

Honored Contributor

Hi Sharon, You are correct that that there is no report generated by our system which will tell you who has not opened your email. Sorry for the inconvenience. I see how a non open report could be useful and I will pass on your feedback. The FAQ Marissa posted is a workaround which would allow you to create a list of those contacts who have not opened your email. This list could then be exported and used to remove the contacts who have not opened your email from your active lists. Thank you for your feedback, Jarrad Community & Social Media Support Representative

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Honored Contributor

Re: How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

Hi Michelle,

To remove your contacts who haven't opened your email, you can follow the instructions below. Just a note, not all contacts will show up as opens.  We track opens by inserting a 1px by 1px image and when the contact allows images to be viewed, that counts it as an open.  We also only store data for the past 85 days. So you'll be able to remove only up to 90 days ago.

To remove contacts who didn't open:

1. Go to Email Marketing > Reports
    Note: If the email is an autoresponder, click Email Marketing > Autoresponder.
  2. Go to the "Opens" column and click the hyperlinked number.  The "Opened Contact Emails" page lists the email addresses for the contacts who opened this email. 
    Note: If the email is an Autoresponder, the list only shows contacts that have viewed the email in the past 90 days.
  3. Click the Save as List button.
  4. Type the name of a new list or select an existing list in which to save these email addresses.
  5. Click Add Contacts to List.  The adding begins and usually takes place immediately. However, larger lists may take up to 2 hours.

I hope that helps!  Let us know if you have any questions!

Valued Contributor

Re: How to delete contacts that havent opened emails in last few months

Hi Michelle,

A thought for you: it seems a bit of a shame to delete contacts who initially signed up to receive your newsletter.  You might consider changing some of the parameters for those "never opens" - try separate mailings to them, with a different subject line and a different frequency (less frequently).

You might capture some of them back.

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if there are questions regarding anything I have written.

Regards,

Robert

Occasional Participant

I have been saying this for years. Constant Contact will not create a report such as this because it will reduce our mailing list and Constant Contact will lose money. I have 700 more people I want to add more than 60% of the people on my list are not opening and I want to delete them before I add 700 more which will INCREASE my price. I can't believe Constant Contact is not aware of how much this can help users... I think you guys don't WANT to help us with this.

Kevin

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!