cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Due to an issue with YouTube, inserting videos in your emails is showing an error. Until they are able to resolve this issue, we recommend using a different video hosting service. We will continue to monitor this outage and update you as we have more information.

How to find Contacts that are not on a list.

CTCT Employee

How to find Contacts that are not on a list.

Updated Nov. 2019:

While the option to segment contacts through the Advanced Search mentioned below, we now also offer this ability through our Segmentation Feature. You can also create segments of your contacts based on email activity and contact details through this feature as well.

-----

Did you know that within your account you can have contacts that are not on a list?  These contacts can be contacts without email addresses or active contacts.  If you think you might have contacts that are not on a list, you can follow these steps to find those contacts in your account.

1.        Once logged into your account, go to the Contacts tab.
  2.        On the left you should see a search bar, click the word Advanced.
    contact search1.png
  3.        You will now see an Advanced Search window.  Select List for the first drop down, and is blank for the second. 
    contacts search2.png
  4.        Click Search

Your results will then display for you.  All contacts listed will not be included in a list.  Now you can manage these contacts from the search results.  If the contact has an email address and you have permission to mail to them, you can add them to one of your email lists.  If the contact does not have an email address or if they are unsubscribed/no permission set you can tag those contacts.  

2 REPLIES 2
All Star

Re: How to find Contacts that are not on a list.

How do I do this search but exclude those that are unsubscribed?

CTCT Employee

Re: How to find Contacts that are not on a list.

Hey there @Care_Net,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I'd love to provide some insight into the Contacts system.

At the moment there is no clearly defined way to exclude unsubscribed contacts from either advanced searches or segmentation. I reached out to our higher level technical team to confirm this, and they did. I made sure to submit your info to our engineers so that you'll be notified when there's an update to this feature request.

In the meantime, there are two other options for excluding unsubs:

1) Simply do an advanced search for List is Blank and add people to lists you think they should be a part of. Unsubs, due to their coding, cannot be added to lists unless they've gone through the full resubscribe process. So you don't have to worry about accidentally adding them to a list.

2) Delete all the unsubs currently in your contacts. This won't delete the fact that they're coded as unsubbed from you, it will simply make it so their info is no longer clogging up your contact searches. You can always download a list of the deleted unsubs later. This will make it quicker and cleaner when doing an advanced search for listless contacts.

As soon as there's an update to your request the engineers will reach out to you. For the time being though, I'd definitely suggest the 2nd option I presented. It will clean up your total contacts list, make it easier to do advanced searches, and we will still have that unsubscribe data saved on our back end.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reply to this thread or create a new one, and we'd be happy to assist. Have a lovely day!

William D
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.