cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

How to identify inactive subscribers for removal?

Highlighted
All Star

How to identify inactive subscribers for removal?

I originally posted this message elsewhere on the forum under suggestions, within a relevant thread on segmentation, but I haven't had a response. Maybe it is better framed as a help request. Here it is:

I am trying to create a list of "inactive" contacts which I am defining as those that have been consistently receiving our emails for a length of time (let's say two years) AND have never opened any. I want to begin the process of updating or removing these inactive emails from our email list (managed in an outside CRM). Having more options in segmentation would vastly improve this.

My current idea to accomplish this is to (Step 1) create 24 segments by contact activity, each segment with the criteria of "were sent" for a one-month timeframe, such as "were sent 1/1/2017-1/31/2017."  (I can't simply do one segment with a two-year timeframe because I want to ensure the contacts have been getting emails the whole time, not just once or a few or even half of that two-year timeframe. We send emails to our entire list at least once a month.). Next (Step 2) I take the 24 segments, export them, and combine them into one Excel spreadsheet, then remove all the records that don't appear in every segment (very time-consuming). Now I have a list of contacts that were sent email in every single month for two years. (Step 3) I create one more segment by activity, for "opened" during that total two-year time frame. I export and add that to my Excel sheet and remove duplicates so that the only remaining contacts are those which received email campaigns in every month for two years but never opened any.

This feels like a ridiculous amount of work to get a list that meets this criteria: Was sent email in every month from Jan. 2017 through Jan. 2019 AND never opened. Is there a better way to do this?? Adding multiple criteria for each segmentation category seems to be the answer, but until that feature is available (IF it become available), what do I do?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
CTCT Employee

Re: How to identify inactive subscribers for removal?

Hi @EmilyD85 

Thank you for reaching out to the Constant Contact Community. It's my pleasure to assist you today.

That's a great question. At this time, you have outlined the best method for achieving the information you are looking for. You might be able to eliminate one step by using the "in between" option with Date Added in the segment to eliminate the new contacts, but the rest of the process would remain how you mentioned. I will absolutely submit your feedback to our team regarding more segmentation options. Please feel free to reach out should you need anything else. Thank you for choosing Constant Contact. Have a great day.

Adrienne B.
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Occasional Participant

I don't know if it's just that things have changed since you posted this, but when you export a segment as a csv file, you have the option of including the date the contact was added, which you can then use to filter out more recently-added contacts. That should save you a lot of trouble.

CTCT Employee

Thank you so much for that suggestion! You are correct! While exporting your Segments you can select one of your fields to be “Date Added” now. Since the launch of our Segments tool we have added a number of options to it, mostly based off of customer feedback! If you have any other suggestions or questions never hesitate to reach back out to The Community!

Antonas_S
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.