cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link text to a sectio of your newsletter

How to link text to a sectio of your newsletter

Hi! We have created a newsletter for our organization. We are trying to direct link sections of the Table of Contents to the article further down in the newsletter. How do we do that?

5 REPLIES 5
CTCT Employee

Re: How to link text to a sectio of your newsletter

Hi @TerryO5

Thanks for joining us in the Community. Anchor Links(Links that jump to other sections of the Email) are not available in the Third Generation Editor. We've seen that many email clients and mobile devices do not support them and they wouldn't function correctly if inserted.

Brian_H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

Wow. This is super disappointing. I just built an entire newsletter based on the premise that I could still do this, only to now discover it's not a possibility. 

CTCT Employee

Hey there @FyonaP 

I'm sorry this is no longer something we offer; however it is actually a feature most email clients no longer support. Most emails that include anchor links will become unresponsive on most devices, so as a result of that we recommend as a best practice to avoid using these types of links in your emails. Here is a great article explaining more on why you should avoid using these links in your email as well of some alternatives that may work for you, Why You Shouldn't Use Anchor Links in Your Emails

Brigitte P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted

1) I appreciate that you have a canned answer that you have to copy and paste, but I've read these points about 47 times elsewhere in the forums. 

2) The bulletin we want to send out is to a specific academic audience and will be read on laptops/desktops and not mobile. 

3) We DO NOT want to link people to our website or external documents for this specific content.There are times when that is appropriate but this is not one of these times. We want them to read through our bulletin in order or to be able to skip to what they want to look at first. 

4) What I am looking for is a specific solution or workaround for this issue. i.e. Is it possible to revert back to the previous editor? Or do I need to open a legacy template from an old campaign in order to be able to use the older tools (e.g. html and anchors)? Is there another solution or workaround? I am going to figure out a way to do this one way or another; it will be helpful if someone from CC can advise on the least labour-intensive way to do this while staying in CC. Otherwise, we are considering looking for other providers who still offer the anchor functionality. 

CTCT Employee

Hello @FyonaP,

I understand your frustration that this system isn't available, however to address all your points - email clients by and large do not support these functionalities.

Even in our old Second Generation Editor, where the ability to create anchor links exists, they do not function in the vast majority of email clients, including desktop modes.

Clicking on them tend to result in errors, the link not actually doing anything, or worse, getting the email flagged as spam by some clients.

For all the reasons above, as well as in Brigitte's linked article, the ability to add anchor links is no longer supported in our newest email builder. We also encourage customers to not utilize them in the old editor. You're free to copy a Legacy (2GE) newsletter if you have access to it, and apply them if you wish. Just note that we cannot affect how well, if at all, it will function on the receiving end for your contacts.

This is common practice with other ESP's as well.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reply to this thread or create a new one, and we'd be happy to assist.

William D

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.