Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send to List A, but exclude those people who also appear on List B

SOLVED
Regular Visitor

How to send to List A, but exclude those people who also appear on List B

The subject header says it all.

I've got a giant list of customers in California.

But I've also got a list of "Customers of Client X".

Now I want to do a mailing to my giant California list, but need to EXCLUDE anyone on that list who is also in the "Customers of Client X" list.

Can someone please explain how you can easily do this in Constant Contact? 

I have been using another email provider, and this was simple to do.  You simply selected the California list as a "send to" list, and told the system to exclude anyone on the "Customers of Client X" list.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael

76 REPLIES 76

Contact Management

I would love to have the ability to exclude people from receiving an email based upon their membership in a specific list or based on the fact that they received a specific email campaign from me.

We all know that contacts can potentially join multiple lists. I would like the ability to send an email to one group (say, customers who signed up to receive info about our local store events). Then I'd like to send a different email to customers who signed up for our online store emails. But the key is that I don't want to over-contact people, so I'd like to exclude everyone who received the local store email from getting the online store email.
Solution Provider

Contact Management

Export the list of emails to which you sent the last campaign.
Export the list of emails in the target category.
Use Excel to sort and purge the duplicates.
Import the "clean list" to a new category.
Mail to that category.

Contact Management

Good idea. And Access makes that process even easier than Excel. Thank you for helping me see the forest for the trees. I was so stuck on doing everything within CC that I didn't think about the tools I already had at my disposal for segmentation.
Occasional Participant

Contact Management

I have a similar issue . . . I have a list of people who have signed up on my web site as a member and then I have a list of customers. I usually email each list about once per month offering them different discounts. When a person on that member list orders from my site, they become a customer and what I would like to do is remove them from the membership list at that point. Our list is large so what I have to do each month is export the lists separately, de-dupe them and then go in by hand to the Constant Contact membership list and remove them.
When the lists are large, this takes so much time and the chance for error is great. Doesn't CC have a way to query if an entry belongs to multiple lists?

Thanks for any help I can get here,
Maxanne Durkee
customerservice@oldhonolulu.com
Highlighted
Solution Provider

Contact Management

Even if the email address is part of different lists, if the lists are both included in the same mailing, only one copy will be mailed out.

But again, this is something that is easily handled by using Excel, exporting the lists, and sorting them by email address. Purge the duplicates, then re-import the list.

Contact Management

I have a related issue that I struggle with :?: . I have multiple lists in CC (by Industry, by Location, and by Contact Type - ie. Lead, Prospect, Customer)...and I'd like to keep this categorization maintained and updated - so that I can send a particular promotion to, say, Small Businesses in Texas in the Automotive industry who are leads but not existing customers.

CC does not have an effective way to update/move these List Memberships for my contacts. Or am I missing something?

I typically maintain my master list in Outlook and use the Outlook upload tool and upload all my "prospects" from Outlook but existing contacts do not get their "List Membership" updated... So if I make changes in Outlook - they are not reflected in CC. (For instance, when some of my Prospects are updated to Customers - I can't do that easily...)

Any :idea: ideas?

Raj Menon
Flat World Design
Promotional Marketing Solutions
Solution Provider

Contact Management

Bout the only thing you can do, is use Excel as an intermediary.
Developer

Contact Management

Constant Contact does have a "Remove" option on the "My Contacts" page under the "Contacts" tab. If you have a list of people who have upgraded their status, say from Prospect to Customer, just add them to the Customer list using a CSV or similar file, then use the "Remove" option to take them off your Prospect list by selecting that list and uploading that CSV.

That should work for everyone who posted questions here.

Contact Management

I have a similar question to the original post: "I would love to have the ability to exclude people from receiving an email based upon their membership in a specific list or based on the fact that they received a specific email campaign from me."

We, too, maintain many lists (newsletters, thank you emails, solicitations, etc.) and need the ability to unsubscribe people from one list but not necessarily ALL the lists they're on. If they opt out of a solicitation email, I still want to be able to email them a thank you note if they make a gift down the line. In CC, once someone opts out of any email campaign, they're on your Do Not Mail list for good unless they opt back in. Have any of you worked around this?

Also, how detailed are you getting on your sign up form? Do you give people the ability to sign up for all your lists, even for emails like thank you postcards or solicitations? How much information do you disclose about what you're sending out?

Thanks!