cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send to List A, but exclude those people who also appear on List B

SOLVED
Occasional Participant

Re: How do I send a mailing from one list - excluding those that are members in another?

What did I do wrong:

I created a new list

Merged List A (310 contacts) & LIst B (250) into List C (476)

There should be less than 310 contacts in LIst C for what I am looking for, right?

Honored Contributor

Re: How do I send a mailing from one list - excluding those that are members in another?

Hi,

I'm sorry if my instructions are not making sense. After you have merged the list, you will have everyone who is in list A as well as list B in a new list. What you would do is remove contacts that are in List A from List C creating a list that only contains contacts that are not already in list List B. This would then leave list C with only contacts that you want to send the email to.

I hope this makes sense. If not, please private message me your telephone number or call 1-866-289-2101.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Participant

So, thank you Jarred for clearing up what you were trying to say. But that is NOT what I am asking for. I am not asking for an AND option. I am asking or an XOR option in programming/logic

IOW, you are giving me A&B without the repeats (subset) -- and I can remove a few others if I feel like it.

lists.jpg

What I want is List A  EXCLUDING the Subset.

The only way that I can do it, if you all don't have any other ideas is export the two lists to an xl sheet or database, do it myself then import what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help though.

Bruce.

Honored Contributor

Hi Bruce,

I tried calling you with the number we have on file but was unable to get through. I am using the correct country code. Is there another number I can reach you at? I'm about to leave the office now, but I will be in the office tomorrow starting at 9:00 AM EST. If you want, private message me your telephone number and I will give you a call at a time you prefer tomorrow.

If you need immediate assistance, please call 1-781-472-8120.

Thanks,

Jarrad

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Occasional Organizer

Hello Jarred,  I need to send an e-mail to about 85% of my mailing list.  I set up a second mailing list that did not contain the e-mails I didn't want sent.  My question is this will put me into the next pricing category, however, I don't have additional e-mails just a secondary list with all of the same e-mails but just fewer of them.  Does CC take note of that or will I have to pay the price of the next pricing tier?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

You are not charged for duplicate contacts. If these contacts were already in a previous list, you would not be charged for them. This would not bring you into a different pricing tier.

Thanks,

Jarrad

Regular Visitor

"Exclude" Lists

I feel an "Exclude Lists" option would be very helpful for email marketing. Recently, I have been marketing to Executive contacts - these contacts are listed in an industry specific list (i.e. Architecture) as well as an Executive only list. There are many times when an Executive should not recieve the same message as their staff. Using an "Exclude List" option, I can then send an email to "Archtiecture" and exclude list "Executives" - instead of having a list for "Architecture", "Architecture Executives", "Construction", "Construction Executives", and etc.. You can see how many lists I would have to create. However, with an Exclude option I would only have to create one list for Executives and each specific industry.

Honored Contributor

Re: "Exclude" Lists

Hi Garrett,

Thanks for your feedback. Do you have anyway of identifying the contacts that are executives based on their industry? If so, you could do a search based on those details and filter the industry specific executives into their own list. This would prevent you from manually doing it yourself. I know you didn't want to have to create a bunch of lists, but this would cut down on the time it would take if you were to do it manually.

I'm going to pass on on your feedback to see if this is something that we could add in the future.

Thanks,

Jarrad

Occasional Participant

Agreed, Garrett.  This feature would be useful for us to exclude individuals who have already submitted a response to one of our surveys or taken advantage of one of our magazine subscription offers (so we do not continue to send them emails requesting action that they have already taken).

Frequent Visitor

100%. There are other email vendors who provide this option, and it is incredibly useful.