cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

How to send to List A, but exclude those people who also appear on List B

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

Email List Exclusion

Hi,

Currently we can send emails to multiple contact lists.  Is there a way to send emails to multiple contact lists then substract another list?

Sometimes we send emails to multiple lists but would like to make sure contacts in another list will not get these emails.

Honored Contributor

Re: Email List Exclusion

Jason,

If you include all the lists at the time your send your piece the system will automatically exclude duplicates.  If you wish to do a more conditional selection that would have to be done manually.

Tony Schaefer
Constant Contact Solution Provider -- Consultation and Remote tutoring available --
www.cliquemarketing.biz

Honored Contributor

Hi Jason,

Tony is completely correct. If you send to all lists, it will de-dupe the ones that are in more than one list.

However, if what you want to do is to remove one list from the complete sending but are afraid that those contacts are on more than one list you're sending to, you can follow these steps.

Go to the Contacts tab
Merge all lists into a new list by using the Merge feature

Then go to the Exports link
Export the list you do NOT want to send to > save to your desktop

Then once exported, go back to the contacts link.  This time click on the Remove List link on the right.

Remove List.png

Then from here, choose the new list you made when you merged all contacts.

Then upload the file you exported.

This will remove all the contacts in that one list from your merged list.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Occasional Contributor

Hi Marissa,

Wouldn't moving contacts to the "Remove" list take them out of all currently subscribed lists?  If so that's not what we want.

The situation is more like that we have 2 big lists of contacts, and we send emails to individual lists as well as sending emails to both lists at once.  However occasionally there are contacts that we do not want to send emails to.  Our thought is to maintain a list for these contacts.

We still want to send them emails at times, but sometimes we don't.  So they still need to be in the 2 big lists.

Honored Contributor

If you merge your lists into a new list and then go into Remove, you can choose this new list and then when you upload the file, it will only remove those contacts from that new list you created. All other lists will remain intact.

So the original lists that you merged, will still have those contacts.

Does that make sense?

Occasional Contributor

Hi Marissa,

Got what you said now, thanks!

It also says removing more than 100 contacts may take 24 hours to process.  So we can't really use the new list until a day after.  Is that correct?

Honored Contributor

You're welcome! It probably won't take that long. Maybe an hour tops. :smileyface:

Occasional Participant

Lets say I have a list, but I want to exclude certain members from it.

I want to send message to both the whole group and the excluded members, but the excluded group gets a slightly different message and no one gets two messages.

CTCT Employee

Hi There!,

I'd be more than happy to assist you with your list question today. In order to do that you would have to create two seperate lists, one with the people you want to send to with the excluded removed, and one list that contains the excluded on their own. From there you would send one email to list with the exluded email addresses missing, then create your second email and send it to the exluded list.

Does that make sense?

Sincerely

Jayson Gonzalez

Community Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

your awesome! thank you soooo much!:smileyhappy: