Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send to List A, but exclude those people who also appear on List B

SOLVED
Honored Contributor

Re: How to send to List A, but exclude those people who also appear on List B

Hello @TrustinusLLC , 

UPDATED: March 2018

At this time, in order to perform this action within your account you would need to create the list of contacts to send to.  In order to do this, there are a few steps involved: 

1. Create a duplicate list of the California list, you can name this something like California minus Clients of X. This can be done by selecting all contacts within the list and using the Manage Lists > Add to Lists option to create a new list and add all of the contacts to the list at once.  (Depending on the number of contacts, this action could take a few minutes to complete). 
  2. Go to the "Customers of Client X" list (the one you want to exclude).  Select all of the contacts. 
  3. Go to the Manage Lists > Remove from Lists option. In the window that appears, select the new "California minus Clients of X" list. Select "Remove."
  4. Once this action is complete, the new list will be left with all contacts who were within the original California list, that were not on the Clients of X list.

The other option, if you are using a third-generation campaign, is to add all of "Clients of X" to a tag and then choose the "Don't send to contacts who are also tagged with" option when scheduling an email. 

If you need any help with this or have further questions, please let us know.  

I've used this method in the past with success, but I tried again today for two new emails and it's not working. I don't get the - symbol to exclude. Has something changed? Is there another work around?

Hi @LeahS41

You're right, this process was updated recently. Instead of having one function to add and remove we've broken them out into their own steps. If you wanted to compare one list to the other you would need to select the contacts and remove them from the lists you don't want them in. For example, John Smith, jsmith@abc.com is on my General Interest list and I want to make sure this is the only list he is on. I could check him off and click "Manage Lists" > "Remove from lists" and then check all the lists I don't want him part of.

2015-10-19_10-06-40.jpg

Hope this helps, 

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!

The updated steps don't make sense to me.

I have a general list. I also have a list of people who have bought Product A. I want to send a sales email about Product A. But I want to eliminate everyone who has already purchased the product, which means I want to elimate everyone on my Product A list..

How do I remove all Product A names from the General List for this one-time mailing? Do I have to create a new list, add in all the Product A names, then manually go through and hunt for duplicates and delete both sets of emails from any name that shows up twice? Goofy!

HI @PianoTeam

Thanks for the example. To clarify, you want to send the email to your General List once you've eliminated everyone on the Product A list?

There isn't a way to make this a one time change--you would need to make duplicates of each list in question. 

Once you have copies of the lists (Lets call them General Interest 2 and Product A2) you would want to open, view and select all the contacts in list Product A2. Click Manage list > Remove from List  and then uncheck the General Interest 2 list. 

Does this help?

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Participant

How do I send a mailing from one list - excluding those that are members in another?

I have two lists; they are large and there is overlap between them.

I want to mail to the entire main list but excluding anyone who may also be on the second list. 

I remember someone walking me through this years ago, and I can't remember how to do it. 

Please help; searching the board brings up nothing. 

CTCT Employee

Re: How do I send a mailing from one list - excluding those that are members in another?

Hello @KirstenP73,

- To add or remove contacts from a list, you will start by going to your "Contacts" page and clicking on the list that you want to remove from your Main List. You will then go select the check box next to the word "Name"

2016-07-08_1021.png

After you select the checkbox next to "Name", you click "Manage Lists", you will click "Remove From Lists" and it will take those contacts off of the list you select.

2016-07-08_1024.png

You can click here to see a step by step as well. 

- If you are sending to both lists and there is overlap, the system is smart enough to recognize duplicates and even if they are on both lists and you send out the email, the person will only receive the email one time. 

Hayley L
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.