cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am beyond ******of your change!!!

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I am beyond ******of your change!!!

I used to be able to upload a PDF and EXCEL of our pricelists that will be sent out to our customers. When they would click the link they would automatically download the excel in the same file name as I uploaded... Now it comes out as a bunch of random characters like this one: 4369d51c-ddab-4b14-863f-094334b0c2ca (1).xlsx ***!!!! I don't understand why you would do this. Now I have to send this campaign out to 1007 people who are all going to be ****** off that the file format is not downloading correctly. It is a disgrace your company is slipping down and other email marketing websites are passing you up I loved constant contact and never had a issue until now, and this issue is huge to our company.

8 REPLIES 8
Honored Contributor

Re: I am beyond ******of your change!!!

Hi @TannerB86 

I'm sorry to hear that this change has upset you. I know how important it is for your information to be as professional as your business when it is sent out to your contacts. I'm going to go over why this change took place and how it actually benefits you.

We changed the way that our library stores document files now and are using document IDs. This allows us to present the proper document should a document be replaced with a file that has a different name. There is no redirecting any longer, which was causing difficulty for some of our customers and this also simplifies linking to the documents and files. Additionally this change improves document security within the system. 

We do value your feedback and thank you for giving us the opportunity to go over this with you.

Occasional Participant

This does not benefit us, you would be amazed of the kick back I have had already after sending it less than 24 hours ago. Not a good change IMO, I would appreciate being able to choose to have a uniqe name or not. Even if having a non-unique name doesn't allow me to update the document without relink issues I would be fine with it. It's really frustrating to pay for a service that I use once every month-2 months and have such a big change take place that affects the company and makes me wish I was sending it from our server still to not have these issues...

Occasional Visitor

I noticed the same problem when I sent my latest email with two links to two different PDFs embedded in it. When the PDFs are downloaded, the filenames are changed to a jumble of alpha-numeric characters. Unacceptable! I do not like CC changing the names of my PDFs. It is very confusing to my customers and supporters. Especially when there are two or more different PDFs being downloaded, the customer has to open each one and see what the name should be, then close it and rename it. Irritating, aggravating, and just plain unacceptable. You must find a way to keep the original filename there. It would be okay to add a short alpha-numeric suffix to it, but at least keep the original filename there. :-)

CTCT Employee

@EdS76,

Thank you for your feedback! I will make sure it gets forwarded to the appropriate team to review. 

Amber Royal
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Has there been an update to this?

Hello @ChrisV1185,

Thank you for coming to the Community to inquire about this. The File URL for images and documents is still set to a hexadecimal ID instead of the original file name. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We are collecting feedback on this feature for our product teams so I will make sure they know it is something you would like to see return.

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

Being that it's almost 2 years since my post I doubt Constant Contact will do anything which is unfortunate.  Why not give us the option to have the file name stay the same or set to a hexadecimal ID??? It is frustrating....

Tags (1)

Hello @TannerB86. At this time, this is still something our Product team is tracking and I will certainly put in feedback for you. A workaround for this would be to use a different platform to host your files. 

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.