cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

I need to generate a report of and delete old contacts that I haven't emailed in a long time.

Occasional Participant

I need to generate a report of and delete old contacts that I haven't emailed in a long time.

Is there a way to generate a report of contacts that I have not sent an email to in a long time? We manage a very large list of contacts, but only send emails to a few thousand on a regular basis. How can I look to see which contacts have not received an email from us in a few years? I would like to delete those contacts from our lists.

7 REPLIES 7
CTCT Employee

Re: I need to generate a report of and delete old contacts that I haven't emailed in a long time.

Hello @WinthropWeinstine,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question. At this time, we do not currently offer a cumulative report of the customers who did not open your email over a certain period of time. I would be happy to track your request to our product team as I agree, it would be a great way to clean up your contact lists. A workaround that you could try is to export each Did Not Open report individually. Once the reports are saved, you can either copy and paste the email addresses into the same file, or you can merge all files at once using the command prompt. I hope this helps in the mean time!

Hayley L
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Occasional Participant

Re: I need to generate a report of and delete old contacts that I haven't emailed in a long time.

@Hayley_L thanks for the reply. I agree that it would be very useful to have information about who has not opened an email from us in a long time. However, my question was about contacts that have not received an email from us in a long time. I want to know which contacts in the almost 40k contacts that we have stored have not received an email in a long time. If we are not sending emails to a contact, then I want to be able to remove their contact info from our list. However, with almost 40k contacts, I don't want to have to go through each individual contact - I want to be able to pull a report. Is this possible?

Hi @WinthropWeinstine. What I believe you may be asking for is a list of contacts who are not assigned to a list and, therefore, wouldn't be receiving your emails. You can do this by searching under Advanced and selecting the following from the dropdown menus:

advancedsearchlistblank.png

This will bring up any contacts that are not assigned to a list and you can choose to either assign them to a list or delete them from the account.

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Participant

That info was actually very helpful because we did have a few thousand contacts not assigned to a list. Thanks.

However, it still does not answer my question.

I am looking for a way to find contacts that ARE assigned to a list that HAVE NOT received an email from us in a long time. I am not looking for contacts that have not opened an email from us; I am looking to generate a list of contact that have not even been sent an email for, say, a few years.

Thanks.

I apologize for any confusion on our part. We do not have a cumulative report for contacts who have not been sent emails over a period of time. However, there is a workaround for figuring it out!

1. Create a master list of your active contacts.

2. Create a list called something like, "Sent Contacts."

3. Go to the "Reporting" tab.

4. Click on the "Sent" number for your first campaign.

5. Select all of the email addresses that were sent the campaign. 

6. Click "Manage Lists" and then "Add to Lists."

7. Choose the "Sent Contacts" list you created in Step 2 and add the contacts to the list.

8. Repeat steps 3-7 for as many campaigns as you want to use as a benchmark. When it comes to a "did not open" report, I usually recommend the last 10 campaigns depending on how frequent you send. When it comes to a "did not receive" report, I would look at the last 6-12 months worth of campaigns.

9. After you have added the sent reports for all the campaigns you want to cover, go to the "Contacts" tab.

10. Go to the "Sent contacts" list you created. 

11. Select all the contacts.

12. Choose "Manage Lists" and "Remove from Lists."

13. Select the master list you created in Step 1. Remove contacts.

The contacts left in the "master list" will be all the contacts you have not sent emails to in the period of time you selected.

If you want to go through the last few years worth of campaigns, if it exceeds the 50 campaigns that display on the "Reporting" tab, then you would have to go to the "Campaigns" tab and continue on where you left off, going campaign to campaign.

I will happily pass feedback to our developers about including a cumulative report for contacts who have not been sent emails. 

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Participant

You can close this ticket. I don't think that the answer you provided is an "Accepted Solution", but it doesn't seem there is another, more efficient way. Thanks.

I appreciate that feedback! I will definitely make sure to let the appropriate team know there could be improvements made to how we collect cumulative data. 

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager