cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Error Message: "A field name was selected for more than one column in your file."

SOLVED
All Star

Importing Error Message: "A field name was selected for more than one column in your file."

When trying to import a .csv file of contacts to a new contacts list I received the error message:

"A field name was selected for more than one column in your file. To continue, please make sure that only one column is selected for each field name"

I use Internet Explorer. The file I want to import is csv with 210 records.  The field names in my file I want to import are exactly the same and in the same order as the Standard Contact details or fields shown in the FAQs. No column in my file is blank. I have two custom fields in my file.  Prior to trying to Add Contacts from a File I went to settings and added the two custom fields with the exact names from my file.  The names of the custom fields are "Date Added" and "Name Prefix."

My questions are:

1. What does the error message mean? I think if I knew what it meant I could fix it, LOL.  

2. What do I need to do upload my file of contacts.

Thanks for any help.

John 

5 REPLIES 5
Honored Contributor

Re: Importing Error Message: "A field name was selected for more than one column in your file.&

Hi @JohnB866 

I'd be happy to help you. I'm going to send you an email to your email address on file with us with instructions on how to proceed. I'm going to need to see the file that you're trying to import as well, if possible, a screenshot of what you're seeing when making sure the columns are named correctly.

Thanks!

All Star

Re: Importing Error Message: "A field name was selected for more than one column in your file.&

My error, ugh.  Marissa Rogers, Community & Social Media Support, looked at my file, tried to upload and spotted the problem I missed. In my file I used both the Zip/Postal Code and the Sub Zip/Postal Code -- as shown in the Standard Contact Details or Fields in the FAQs.  But when it tried to import, the Constant Contact list showed both fields as Zip/Postal Code.  I should have seen this when I was checking.

So, thanks Constant Contact and Marissa Rogers for the excellent service.

I am moving our main email list of about 200 contacts to Constant Contact from another service, ***removed by moderator***.  Since August I have used Constant Contact to send out a small 25-contact newsletter.  At the time we signed up for Constant Contact we had already decided to move both lists, but we are just now getting around to the final move of the main list.  During the time we sent one newsletter by CC and another newsletter by **Competitor Removed by Moderator** , it became more and more clear all the ways CC is better, easier, faster, and more powerful.

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

@JohnB866 

Glad to help! And It can be a very powerful tool indeed! If there is anything at all you need, don't hesitate to reach back out!

Best,

Ian W

Community & Social Media Support Intern
Occasional Visitor

Please share these instructions so they're useful to more than one person at a time.

Honored Contributor

HI @DavidK886

Thank you for your feedback. Since this was an error that was from the original poster's specific file, we didn't share specific instructions on how it was resolved. But per @JohnB866 he stated above that it was the fact that he had 2 columns in his file with zip/postal code and sub zip/postal code. Our system was recognizing both columns and stating that they were duplicates when automatically selecting the fields to import into.

If you're having difficulty with your file, please let us know! We're happy to help!