cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increased open rates - February 2018

Anonymous
Not applicable

Increased open rates - February 2018

The past two email campaigns (several emails on the same day, different lists) have had dramatically increased open rates - more or less double the norm.  I've been doing this for years, and I can't think of any reason why the rate would double this much. It is nothing I am doing, I can assure you; I am recycling old emails and subject lines so nothing in the content or lists would trigger this.
So, has there been a change in CC's tracking code, or something else to which I can attribute it? Assuming it is an artifact of something, it certainly skews my statistics. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Increased open rates - February 2018

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for reaching out to us. That is a very good question. It is definitely important to understand how our reporting works. When sending an email campaign out, our system will create a report based off of the number of contacts that the campaign has been sent to. So say for example you have a template that you send out twice in the same day but the number of contacts are different, that will definitely change how the report is being read. If you send one campaign to 1000 contacts and another one to 100 contacts, if both of them have 10 opens the first email (1000 Contacts) will read that as 1% where the second email (100 contacts) will read that as 10%. The amount of contacts you are sending out on each of your emails will play a huge factor in your reports.

Tiago_R
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the answer.  I know you have no way of knowing this, but I've been doing this for well over ten years now and so have a very good feel for what the numbers are (and how they are calculated). An additional clue - normally I would get between 50 and 150 out-of-office autoreplies (more in a vacation/holiday week, of course).  Concurrent with the two weeks of double open rates, I have received only about 25% of the autoreplies that I would expect to receive based on the previous 10 years of data.

'Tis puzzling, to be sure. :smileyface:

CTCT Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for replying back! We haven't made any changes to the open tracking lately, but it's been the case that some servers will click a link in an email to test it before actually delivering it. This will give us an increased amount of opens. This is also becoming more and more common with banks, schools, military organizations, etc. Unfortunately, since this is something on the receiver's side, there's nothing we can do to prevent it from happening. I do apologize for the inconvenience this might cause. 

Lucas_D

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes some sense; most of our list is banks and credit unions, so if they have started doing something on their end, it would certainly reflect back into these stats.  But it still seems strange that it's something that changed so dramatically in just a week - not every bank uses the same system, and all that. 
Ok, for now I'll just let it sit and not worry about it - maybe even start fresh with 2018 and make our stats look good to the management! (Ha ha)
Thanx!

CTCT Employee

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for your response! We are happy to help in any way that we can!

We will definitely keep an eye out for anything that can be happening with this reporting. Please let us know if you find that your reporting is not operating properly in any way. 

-Curtis P

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!