Inserting a table

SOLVED
Go to solution
DYCM
Campaign Contributor

How do I insert a table into a block? The posts I found were archived and didn't match the format that I have. 

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hello @DYCM. Thanks for reaching out to us in the Community! I see that you are using our third-generation editor to create your emails. At this time, this editor does not have the ability to create and insert tables. This is because all of the templates for this particular editor are mobile responsive and inserting tables can actually break the responsiveness. We have a few alternatives to using a table in an email that does not impact readability and I encourage you to review this article. 

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager

View solution in original post

Top Answer
Caitlin_M
Administrator

Hello @DYCM. Thanks for reaching out to us in the Community! I see that you are using our third-generation editor to create your emails. At this time, this editor does not have the ability to create and insert tables. This is because all of the templates for this particular editor are mobile responsive and inserting tables can actually break the responsiveness. We have a few alternatives to using a table in an email that does not impact readability and I encourage you to review this article. 

21 REPLIES 21
Caitlin_M
Administrator

--

Caitlin M.
Community Manager
JamesA934
Rookie

Have there been any updates on adding this feature?  Screenshots are a workaround, but not a solution.  Thanks.

Nichelle_M
Employee
0 Votes

Hi @JamesA934,

Thanks so much for inquiring about the table functionality in our newest editor. We understand how it might be easier for you to utilize a table rather than insert screenshots. At this time we are still collecting feedback for our programmers about adding this feature and I'm happy to add yours!

Nichelle M
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
MarketingBeLuceCanada
Campaign Collaborator

I'm not sure if this will help you but I achieved this: 
table.PNG

I did this by dragging and dropping the block that includes pictures, text and background (the one circled in red): 

table button.PNG

I then just removed the pictures, added my text and added a different background colour. I duplicated each row of text to build the "table". Unfortunately, I don't think you can add more columns with this method. 

Good luck!

Hi @MarketingBeLuceCanada

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your email. I'm happy to hear you were able to replicate a table with our two-column layout blocks! Being able to create a table in your email is a feature request I would be happy to submit in your account. In the mean time, using your method through layout blocks you would be able to create up to a three-column layout. 

2018-01-12_16-12-16.png

Frankie.P

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
CalvaryVision
Campaign Collaborator

How did that look in Mobile preview? 

MarketingBeLuceCanada
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

image1 (1).png

CalvaryVision
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Wow, that looks great. Unfortunately, I'm trying to list a table and keep the columns in line.

To be exact, I am trying to list a sermon schedule with data, speaker, and title. 

Curtis_P
Employee

Hello @CalvaryVision,

Thank you for your response!

The only alternative that I can think of (it is a bit of a workaround) is to create this in another program and take a screenshot to insert the data as an image. This way it will keep all of your information aligned and as a benefit, it will automatically resize to fit mobile devices keeping the same layout.

I hope that this helps!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

-Curtis P

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Lucas_D
Employee
0 Votes

Hello,

At this time, we still do not have the ability to insert tables within the email campaigns. However, we are happy to announce that a 5-column layout has been released within the email campaign editor. This won't work for all table layouts that are requested, but it is an option to experiment with. The 5-column layout can be found by clicking on the Build tab located to the top left side of the screen when you are in the editor mode. Scroll down and you will see the 5-column layout which you can drag and drop into your email campaign. Also, you can delete one of the columns in this layout to give you a 4-column layout. For more information on this and for visual steps on how to use this layout, please click here. I hope this helps. 

Lucas_D

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
ChirstinaD
Campaign Expert

I still don't understand how this is a solution for keeping content side by side in mobile. Whether you use the content block of 2, 3, or 5 columns, it still displays them all stacked on mobile. If there was a way to force these layouts to stay side by side when you want them to, that would be helpful and accomplish the same thing that the table used to accomplish. Otherwise, I think making your content an image is the only solution right now.

CalvaryVision
Campaign Collaborator

Just another user that wants to agree.

It's not a solution. And I've been just using an older Template. 

As a user, I understand that "mobile first" is the idea. But some content isn't optimal when viewed on a mobile, such as a table. 

It would be awesome if you could "scroll" side to side as some tables behave on websites. I don't know if that is possible on HTML emails. 

In any case, I can't really use mobile templates until this is somehow resolved. 

Frankie_P
0 Votes

Hi @ChirstinaD and @CalvaryVision

Thank you both for sharing your feedback on our tables feature. I apologize for any confusion there may have been with our option to create 5-column layouts. These multi-column layouts are not meant to be a solution, but more of an option you can experiment with. The ability to insert a table in our Third Generation Editor or to turn off stacking on a mobile device are both feature request I have submitted in your account to the appropriate teams. While we do not have a time estimate of when these features will be available, we suggest adding a screenshot of your table into the campaign as a workaround.

Frankie.P

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
CalvaryVision
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Hello @frankie_p,

That's fine. I just wanted to let @ChirstinaD know that we still have not changed the way we sent out the newsletter. We haven't switched to the third generation editor because of this issue. 

Alex_S
Employee
0 Votes

Hell @CalvaryVision

Thank you for reaching out in the Community and providing your feedback regarding the lack of tables in the 3rd generation editor. I can see why this would be a useful feature to have. I am happy to track your feedback on this and provide to the appropriate team for review.

Thank you,

Alex S.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
StephanieW382
Rookie
0 Votes

The workaround for a table with images does not show well in mobile.  You can see in the images below, the top one is a desktop view. The one below it is a mobile view.Table.PNGMobile.PNG

Frankie_P
0 Votes

Hi @StephanieW382 

Thank you for sharing these screenshots in your post! What exactly does not show well for you with these images? Putting your images into columns is the workaround we suggest in our Third Generation Editor. Because our mobile responsive, these images will stack and resize to fill the screen on a mobile device. At this time there is not currently a feature to stop this as it is functioning as designed. As a workaround, we suggest customers to insert a screenshot of the table into their email instead.

Frankie.P

JuliaS9969
Campaign Collaborator
0 Votes

Please submit a request for our account as well to add the ability to insert tables!
Also, the ability to insert a border around a part of the text within a block - I can't see why that is not available anymore - no way it would have interfered with mobile-responsive design!

JennaR257
Rookie

Count me as another user who wants the option to insert a table. We're trying to build a template to send out schedules just for employees, who will be viewing on desktops, NOT mobile devices. This is frustrating.

JoA16
Rookie

Hi

It's now June 2020 is there any way to insert a table now on any particular template? Rather than attaching a file.

Thanks

TheoEastwind
Campaign Contributor
0 Votes

We need tables!!

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST