Line Indent??

Marisa_M
Marketing Legend

I love the new third generation editor however i don't see any way to indent a line.  Am I missing something? Can this editing function be added? Tab key does not work either... So that's not an option.

Thank you!

Top Answer
Briody_W
Employee

We are locking this post and ask for additional comments and votes be left on the open idea for the ability to indent text. Our Product team regularly reviews our Feedback boards more than our Get Help area. Though we do not have a time estimate if a feature like this will be available in the product, any updates will be posted there, not on this post. Voting and commenting on the linked post above helps to influence future product decisions and allows you to be notified of replies from our teams.

53 REPLIES 53
AccessNorth
Marketing Expert

Right now I am using the tip of using a "-" and making it the same color as the background.  That's the only thing I can do now until they make it available. 

CKSAtlanta
Campaign Collaborator

Still no fix for this issue?

Amanda_G
Employee
0 Votes

Hi @ShanaJ97 , 

I have gone ahead and flagged this on your account as a feature request. I will have our engineering team follow up with you for any updates we have on this request. 

Amanda G.
Community & Social Care
Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Marisa_M
Marketing Legend

To everyone on this thread who needs this function, please VOTE on the initial post to get them to add this feature!  (Only 2 people voted but there are 20 replies on this post)

Also, there is another workaround you can use until the ability to indent is added:

That is, to create your text that you want to indent in its own text block, then add a spacer image to the left of that text block.

It's certainly not ideal for a few reasons, but the main one being that the spacer image will not allow you to minimize it as much as you would like, so it's a very deep indent, but it does the job in the interim.

CC-spacer image.png

Yes, please! 

This can't be that difficult to enable!

SFDCconnector
Administrator
0 Votes

Hello @Marisa_M,

Thank you for sharing that workaround! I'm glad to hear that you've found a solution that works for you however I do want to mention that if you do this, those blocks will stack on a mobile device so your readers will see a large gap in between those bullet points when reading your emails on their phone.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions about that! 

Marisa_M
Marketing Legend

OK then. So that is not a good workaround... in that case Constant Contact really needs to prioritize adding a line indent function!

Kat-Peppers
Brand Visionary

When are we going to get this? Sooooo important!

What else can we do to get this function?

Thank you!

I use a great workaround.  Just add text before the lines you would like to indent and make the text the background color.  Our emails are in Georgia 14.  I use "<ind>" to give a nice indentation. The "<ind>" is only visible if someone copies/pastes the entire text, but then it looks like they are copying code instead of seeing "......" or "blahblah" or something unseemly.   

GailM875
Rookie

Not only line indent, but trying to number then indent to letters, then return to continuation of numbers is IMPOSSIBLE.  Why on earth would you not have considered any of this?  I have no recourse but to re-work my entire text to somehow eliminate the use of numbers and letters, which defeats the purpose of the points I was making.  Tried to copy and paste a word/jpg/every format I could think of and the quality is too poor to post.  What should have been an easy "letter" to send is turning out to be a nightmare.  So sorry Constant Contact is so poorly editable.  

NexFirm
Campaign Expert

It's 2020 and still, this is an issue. CC should fire their developers. 

Frankie_P
Hi @NexFirm 

I apologize for any inconvenience from this feature not being available. There are many factors that are used to decide what is added to or updated in our product which can cause us to sometimes not have a timeline for when a feature will be available. Though this may be the case, as previously mentioned in this thread,  we recommend adding underscores and changing the font color to match the background color. You can also copy and paste text that includes a tab from an external source (like Microsoft Word). Our editor will convert these tabs into non-breaking spaces that can be saved.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Marisa_M
Marketing Legend

Why doesn't CC just allow us to insert snippets of HTML code??? That would solve every one of my problems. 

AccessNorth
Marketing Expert

I miss the days of when you could use code to adjust your layout.  Even the amount of padding in boxes, etc.  I guess I am used to controlling JUST how things work and having them look exactly how I like.  Is there any way to get some of that control back?  It seems that with every update, we are limited to the layout more and more. 

MartinK80
Campaign Collaborator

Indeed! We pay no small fee for CC! Super annoying - super weak!

I thought I must have been doing something wrong - I can't believe we can NOT indent  😞

danmaley
Marketing Legend

Are you KIDDING me. It's been TWO YEARS since the original request. Can we please get a fix for this? I can't believe that after this long, such a critical functionality has not been added. Seeing this request go unaddressed for this long really says something about how much CC cares about responding to its clients' needs.

I guarantee for every person who posts a request here, there's another 10 who have no idea this thread exists, like I didn't for the last year.

WHEN WILL THIS GET FIXED?

HeatherR7155
Campaign Collaborator

You took the words right out of my mouth. Two years later and we're still have to beg for basic functionality. And if one more person from CTCT chimes in and says, "We understand your concern and we've take this issue to the devs..." I will scream. C'mon guys. If you aren't going to add this feature just man up and tell us. Or maybe....just maybe...you can bring back HTML editing (and I'm not talking about Custom code) then some of us can do it for ourselves?

idaUPMOs
Brand Visionary

Still over two years and developers have not put in a feature to allow the MOST BASIC text editing function. 

Seriously how hard is it to do this? 

-- has this availability.

Even the Community Service support has it.

This is a joke. 

Stop spending so much on your marketing budget for new customers and try and keep the new ones happy with basic functionality. 

WillB59
Campaign Collaborator

Please roll out indenting!!! I need it!!!

Margaret.Frazier
Rookie
0 Votes

Is there still no viable solution to indenting a line or paragraph?

SamyI3
Rookie
0 Votes

3 years since someone first brought this up...how has it not been added yet?!

SalP809
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

There is a solution.  You can compose the body of your email elsewhere, using an HTML editor of your choice that does support paragraph indents, tables, and other features omitted from the "new" CC editor.  You can use Outlook or Thunderbird or any of dozens of HTML editors.  Then copy to your clipboard the resulting raw HTML code and follow these steps:

To go Campaigns, Create, Email, Custom Code, and it gives you an HTML editor.  Paste your HTML code there.  It works.  You have to add the subject line and the bottom address info after hitting Continue.

Marisa_M
Marketing Legend
0 Votes

Thanks SalP809 and that's not *really* a solution, though, because the problem is with the CC editor.  It needs to function with these features. Yes, we could do much more with HTML if we were to code our whole email but for many of CC's users, the reason we use CC is for the UI and email editor.  If I wanted to create every email in raw HTML I could but I don't want to.  Now, if CC had an "insert HTML snippet" function so we could build our email in the editor but, much like adding a new text box, add a box with custom HTML instead, then yes that would be a solution. But that doesn't exist right now either.

AccessNorth
Marketing Expert

SalP809 - if you saw how complicated my emails are, you would know that is NOT anywhere near a solution.  It takes me long enough to compose and design them, let alone do it separately in an HTML editor.  Thanks for your idea, but CC just needs to put this feature in.

Updates
Just Getting Started?

We’re here to help you grow. With how-to tutorials, courses, getting-started guides, videos and step-by-step instructions to start and succeed with Constant Contact.

Start Here
Upcoming Webinars
Mar 28
Making it to the Inbox in 2024: What’s changed and what hasn’t
2PM - 3PM EST