Is there a method to build a list of email addresses stored, that are not attached to any list?
To generate this list would allow us to quickly clean up redundant email addresses on file, but not used.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Thank you for coming to the Community with this inquiry! Yes, it is possible to find active contacts that are not on any lists. Of course, we will have to put them on a list to know who they are!
1) On the Contacts Management page, click on the word "Advanced" under the search bar on the top-left hand side of the page.
2) A window will appear for your search criteria. Change "First Name" to "List."
3) Change "is" to "is blank." Hit the blue "Search" button.
4) Once the list of contacts appear, hit the grey box next to "Name" at the top-right of the list. This will select all contacts.
5) Click "Manage Lists" and then "Add to Lists." This is found on the dark grey/black bar at the top of the list.
6) Click "Create a new list" and give it a distinctive name like "Unlisted Contacts." Hit "Add."
Once it finishes processing, any active contacts that are not on lists will be added to the new list.
The reason you have to put them on a list is because when you search for blank list contacts, it will include contacts without email addresses and unsubscribed contacts. This weeds out unnecessary contacts to give you a clean report.
It seemed to work perfectly, but I wonder, as after I do steps 1 and 2, it generates a report, so why can't I just default check all in that report and delete from there instead of creating a cheater list and then deleting it?
You certainly could. But the list that appears after you input the advance search criteria is made up of all contacts that are not on lists, including unsubscribes and contacts missing email addresses. Our system will remember the unsubscribes behind-the-scenes, so if you don't want to have them visible you can delete them as well.
Creating the "cheater list" will just tell you which of those contacts are considered active.