cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Problems with Surveys

Major Problems with Surveys

It has been discovered that the links used to send a request for questions for the All Candidates Meetings has been malfunctioning. When linked in the body of the email it was loading in the test version of the survey and not recording the answers. This was only an issue when using an email newsletter, the link used on the website works fine. I called Constant Contact to inquire as to what may be the problem and was told that we were selecting the wrong link and or posting it incorrectly. This was shocking because we’ve selected the link for our surveys the same way for at least 7 years. All of our other surveys (prior to April 1, 2017 as it was discovered the same issue happened with the Vikram Vij Luncheon survey) have worked correctly and garnered responses. Amy said that it should never have worked like when we’ve done it before and that we’ve been very lucky that it has. I left it at that and said we’d just watch for it in the future. She said they should end in "/start" when pasted into the hyperlink. They have in the past and worked but they didn't on the two surveys in question when pasted in the body of the email. While poking around our past emails (in my own inbox and on Constant Contact) it appears now that previous survey’s aren’t working either – some even say “you’ve already taken this survey” when the survey itself is allows multiple responses. With that said, I created a new survey from scratch, as well as a new email to send it with (I went back to our original drafts from 2013). This time, the link had the "/start" when pasted into the hyperlink. The new link works and logs the results when posted from Constant Contact directly to a web browser but ultimately doesn’t log results when sent in the email. I sent a test email went to a colleague's work email, my personal email and my work email. Later, I tried everything listed above at home on my own computer in two different browsers and it yielded the same results, or lack there of. I also noticed that the “TEST” survey link is only available prior to publishing the survey and includes the words “test survey” in the URL. These words are missing from the URLs in question when in the editing section. Finally, something I’d forgotten up until last night…all test surveys have a yellow bar at the top of the survey to warn people that it is the test survey and results will not be logged. This yellow bar does not appear on the surveys in question. Hopefully this makes sense. I'd appreciate a call to discuss this.
6 REPLIES 6
CTCT Employee

Re: Major Problems with Surveys

Hi @ChantelleBB,

We're very sorry for any frustrations with survey links, as we know how important it is to get the results! The best way to ensure you're copying the correct survey link is to grab the short URL (it's accessible two ways.) Just click Campaigns, click Campaign Type and select Feedback & Surveys. You'll see the link icon next to the active survey or you can click Actions and select Short URL:

2017-04-21_13-36-50.png

You can then copy/paste that URL into your email campaign, and/or post on it your website. I hope this helps! If not, please feel free to send us an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username and a reference to this post and we can further investigate.

Nichelle M
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

Thank you for your prompt reply Nichelle.

I have tried your suggestion of grabbing the link from the little icon beside the survey (rather than in the details page) and it appears to work.

This will hopefully stop this from happening in the future but unfortunately still doesn't explain why it happened in the first place. As mentioned, when the hyperlink was clicked in the two previous emails there was no yellow warning bar about it being the test survey. As well, in the editing portion of the email, the links do not have the "TEST SURVEY" wording at the end of the URL. 

I'm going to be watching things more closely and just hope it doesn't happen again. Hopefully this was just a glitch in the system somewhere that was short-lived won't affect future surveys.

Thank you again and have a great day! 

Occasional Participant

Good morning - I am having this same issue with survey test/live link. I must have the old CC interface because the screenshot shown and instructions described above to get a short URL - which apparently solved the problem for someone else - are not what I view. I looked in the code of my survey email and the link in my email appears to be the live link, ends with "start."  But when I save and send a preview email out to my Outlook or Yahoo addresses, the test link is embedded instead and no responses are recorded. I've tried inserting the live link via the add Survey/Poll link, I've added the live link via copy/paste into my email, and have tried checking the link in the code to see if it is in indeed the live link. This is delaying my project and I also fear that a past project apparently preformed the same way. I have used CC for a long time and usually had no issues like this occur. 

Hello @SharonG14. I see that you did chat with our Support team this morning about the trouble you were having with your survey link and they were able to assist you. In case anyone has a similar question, responses taken from the link in the preview/test email will not be recorded in the survey product. Once the invitation for the survey has been scheduled and sent, then the responses will be recorded.

Caitlin M.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
Occasional Participant

FYI for any others who experience this - my solution was to actually "send" out the email including the live survey link to myself and some colleagues to take and test the live survey, and to confirm that responses were received. Then copy that final email and resend it to my intended email list.

Thank you for the timely reply!

Hi @SharonG14. You're so welcome! I'm happy that you were able to start to collect those responses. Thanks for letting our fellow Community members know about the steps that you took. 

Caitlin M.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.