cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
In recognition of Martin Luther King Day, our Support Centers will be open with limited hours on Monday (1/20) from 10AM ET to 6PM ET.
Visit our Help Center to see all of the ways you can find answers to your questions.

Merge existing contacts

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Merge existing contacts

Can you merge 2 existing contacts?
Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Merge existing contacts

HI @ShaunaH77

At this time there is not a way to "merge" contacts into one contact in the account. The best approach to this would be to open one version of the contact and add or change the information within the contact. You can find them in the account using the search tool!

Once you've updated the information within the contact you will keep you can delete the other contact. Just find them in the list view and check them off. There's a delete button under "More Actions".

2015-04-24_8-04-12.jpg

Just a note, make sure you update the lists you want the contact to exist in as the contact you are keeping might not be in all the lists that the other (soon to be deleted) contact is in.

Thanks,

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Honored Contributor

I just added a second email address to an existing contact.

Then I added that email address to a separate list.

Everything went fine but I noticed that the contact count remained the same ( at least for the 15 minutes I was checking).

So if I add multiple address to a single account I am only billed for one contact when in fact they could be different people all together.

That almost sounds like a bug as I can get extra email addresses into the system and not be billed for them.

Maybe I'm missing something.  

Tags (2)
Occasional Visitor

It would be great if we could merge contacts.  When I imported from outlook I have contacts with Multiple addresses and now I have to manually go through a labourous task of mergeing them into one contact.   

Will this be available soon.?  most other contact management systems I have worked with has this useful feature.

Thanks for your feedback, @briang471. I don't have a timeframe on a feature like this but you are welcome to share it in our idea forum for the product teams to see! 

Hannah M.

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Honored Contributor

Gonna gloss over my observation ?

Hi Tony,

You shouldn't see a change in your active contact count as you are not adding a new contact. The contact count is based off of contacts (think contact profile) . While you could send to each of these email addresses separately you would only have one set of details (Name, address, company, etc) as well as one set of reporting for this person. 

Since accounts aren't designed to be used the way you described, if you were sending to different people using the same contact profile it is possible that action would be taken on the account, which could be a review (that could cause a delay with work inside an account, including the possibility of not being able to send emails until the review is complete) or possibly the cancellation of an account. More on this is listed in section 5.2(b) of the Terms and Conditions.

Thanks,

Hannah M.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for answering me.   :smileyface:

Thought I'd let you know as a customer is really billed for email addresses not contacts.

If I add more I was thinking my cost would go up.    

Per you homepage information.

How will I be billed?

You'll be charged a monthly flat fee based on how many email addresses are in your Constant Contact account.

Hi @Clique_Marketing

I apologize for any confusion. My original statement is accurate though, you are billed based on the contact, not the email address. 

Thanks for pointing out the homepage information. We're working to get this and all pricing information updated to be much clearer for you.  We've got several landing pages and FAQs with pricing information that do state "Each month on your billing date you are charged based on your pricing level, which is determined by the highest (peak) number of Active Contacts in your account during the previous billing cycle." 

We are putting trust in you and all of our customers to use the system as designed but if someone is using it in the method you mentioned, they would risk having an action taken against their account.

Hannah M.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the explanation. For an email service provider to charge for accounts and not email addresses seems a bit strange but OK.  

I tend to get more technical than a casual user so pardon my comments. 

Re: We are putting trust in you and all of our customers to use the system as designed but if someone is using it in the method you mentioned, they would risk having an action taken against their account.

Actually they would be using it as "designed".

Should be:

We are putting trust in you and all of our customers to use the system as intended but if someone is using it in the method you mentioned, they would risk having an action taken against their account.

Intention is much more difficult to determine than designed is. If your program allows someone to do something then the responsibility is on the programmer to remove that option (in my opinion).

Knowing how difficult it seems for your programmers to make changes I suspect this opportunity will exist for some time, so the intention part needs to be explained better.  

Perhaps no one else has figured this out and its not a problem at all. 

If it was me, I would remove the ability to have multiple addresses per contact but that's just me.

Thanks for the rant.  YOu guys do an awesome job.

Appreciate the forum.