cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
In recognition of Martin Luther King Day, our Support Centers will be open with limited hours on Monday (1/20) from 10AM ET to 6PM ET.
Visit our Help Center to see all of the ways you can find answers to your questions.

Mobile clicks do not count?????

Mobile clicks do not count?????

We switched our newsletter to a mobile-friendly template this month as you have been recommending. Now I see a notice under the "What is a did not open" statement that there is a possibility that if the email is opened in a mobile device the click may not register. What's with that? How can we accurately track effectiveness if you are not counting the very community that you are promoting to. When will this change?
Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
CTCT Employee

Re: Mobile clicks do not count?????

Hello @MasterGardenerFoundation-KingCounty,

Thank you for reaching out to the Constant Contact Community. It's my pleasure to assist you today. I do want to clarify a few things about our Open reports. 

Your Email Open report lets you know who opened your email and when, but it's not always 100% accurate. This is not specific to mobile devices, and can occur just as easily on computers or other devices. ​The way we record an open is if at least one of the following happens:

• Invisible Tracking Image Displays - We embed an invisible image at the very top of every email you send. When someone opens your email, that image loads and sends data back to us, letting us know the email was opened and on what type of device.
  • Contact Clicks a Link - If the hidden open tracking image doesn't display, we can still detect that the email was opened if any link in the email is clicked.

We can't track when a contact opens your email if they:

• Receive a text-only version and don't click on any links inside. Because text-only emails don't support images, the open tracking pixel is not effective in text-only emails. 
  • Have all images blocked from displaying and don't click on any links in your email.
  • Receive a custom XHTML email in which the <OpenTracking/> tag was removed from the Advanced Editor.
    Note: You can restore the open tracking in the custom code by pasting <OpenTracking/> below the Body tag in the Advanced Editor.

So, if your email is opened as text-only, or the images are blocked, or the <OpenTracking/> tag was removed AND the contact didn't click on a link in the email, their "open" won't be part of your reporting. You could have more Opens then your reporting is telling you about, but we do provide information that is as accurate as possible. 

I hope this helps. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. Thank you for choosing Constant Contact. 

Amber_L
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

While I appreciate your very thorough explanation of all the reasons the counts in the open report are not or may not be accurate, my initial question was a response to the Constant Contact disclaimer that the counts from opening an email on a mobile device are not tracked. If that is the case, why are you promoting the use of mobile-friendly templates. This seems to get the cart before the horse, and I suggest you figure out a way to better track the use of a mobile template before promoting it.

CTCT Employee

Hey @MasterGardenerFoundation-KingCounty,

Thank you for reaching out to us! So that is a great question in regards to the mobile clicks. I have reached out to our next level support and they have assured me that no matter if the recipient opens the email on a mobile device or a computer the tracking of clicks is always consistent and accurate. With that being said, would you be able to provide a screen shot of the information you found stating that mobile clicks aren't tracked? We would love to look into it a bit further!

Desi_B
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!