cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mutliple Customer Lists and Duplicates

SOLVED
All Star

Mutliple Customer Lists and Duplicates

So, if I use multiple contact lists on one email blast and a customer email is in more than one of those lists, will it send the email to them twice? Or will the system recognize that their emails are on multiple list and just send them one?

Thanks for the help!

5 REPLIES 5
CTCT Employee

Re: multiple Customer Lists and Duplicates

Hi GaryS482,

Great question. Constant Contact takes steps to make sure that your contacts don't get multiple copies of your email once you send it. So if a contact is on several lists, they will only get that email once. We cross-reference the lists during scheduling for you so it's one less thing you have to worry about.

Hope this answers your question. Thanks!

Anna Navarro
Social Support and Community
If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
All Star

HI Anna,

I receive duplicates after I send. Is there a setting i need to change somewhere?  Or is it because i am the sender and on the recipients lists?

thanks, Kim

CTCT Employee

Hi @KimS51 

Thank you for reaching out. It's possible it's because you are the sender. The other possibility is if you have any distribution email addresses on your lists that you are a part of you would receive multiple copies of the emails. If this isn't the case, can you send us a screenshot of the headers and footers of the email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with a reference to the this post, your username and the names of the emails you are receiving multiple times? Thank you and have a good weekend.

Adrienne B.
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Regular Visitor

duplicate emails

I sent a mass email to three different CC lists. One particular email was on all three lists, and she got three emails..can you help me understand why?

Re: duplicate emails

Hi @MaryAnn355 

Although Constant Contact has safeguards in place to prevent duplicate email addresses in your account, it's possible that a contact could receive multiple copies of an email. As previously mentioned in this thread, some of these reasons include if they are on a distribution list and how your contact is viewing the email.  With that said, how are is this contact opening the email? Are they viewing it on a desktop (Mac/PC) or a 3rd part app on a mobile device? 

If they are using a 3rd party app we have seen cases of this being caused due to a communication error between the email client and the 3rd party software. If your contact is using a desktop can you please share a copy of these emails complete headers? The steps to finding these message headers can be found here under the category titled Mail Servers or Firewalls. Please email this header to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot) come along with the campaign name and the email address of the contact who received it.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.