cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to add multiple contacts using one email address

Occasional Visitor

Need to add multiple contacts using one email address

We host annual health fairs. We have entire families that register multiple family members and use one email address. The problem is one person will receive a reminder email and believe the other family members are not registered or something happened to their registration. Is there a way to not only compare the email address but the first name and last name? That way if there is a duplicate it will remove that record and if not then it will send one email for each person.
11 REPLIES 11
Honored Contributor

Re: Need to add multiple contacts using one email address

I see no one has responded.

Although you can have multiple contacts with the same email address (still a wonder to me)  you can only deliver to one of them.

Even if you added the address to multiple lists the CC system would still only send one email to the address (which is what you want)

The optimal situation is for each family member to have a unique address.

Hi @BruceS.

To clarify, are you using Constant Contact's Event registration process? If so, you could only register with each address once. If you are just using Constant Contact to send the emails you can have the same email address with different contact information AND send to both addresses.

For example:

team.jpg 

In this list, named Team, the same email address exists twice but there's different first and last name information. If I sent to this list the address "team@constantcontact.com" would get two emails. If you had the same first name, last name, and email address it would not be a unique contact.

Hope this helps,

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Honored Contributor

"If I sent to this list the address "team@constantcontact.com" would get two emails."

This is an absolutely crazy design without the ability to customize the subject line or add personalzation.  :smileyfrustrated:

"If I sent to this list the address "team@constantcontact.com" would get two emails."

I actually just tried this and found the opposite to be true: I registered a list of a handful of names that share one email address, as we're using this for ticketing and each attendee needs an individual seat assignment email. But CC keeps trying to override all but the most recently input name assigned to the address (all others simply disappear. Is there a setting somewhere I need to change?

Hello @katieschroder. Since the last post in this thread, there has been an update to the way our system handles contacts. With this update, there isn't a way for multiple contacts to have the same email address. When contacts are added into your account, our system will note if the email address already exists in the account and will not create a duplicate contact. Instead, the contact information will update with whatever information is included in the upload, including names. This is the reason why our system is updating the contact information to the most recent name added using this email address. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused you.

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
All Star

Caitlin, I found this update to be a bit problematic. On our contacts, we need to list all individuals for accounting purposes since we run a tourism business and head counts are important, but some of those individuals share an email. For example, a husband and wife that share the same email address should be listed as two individuals, but we cannot do that if they have the same email. Another example is that a family of four is attending a trip of ours but one person is the person in charge of logistics so they list their email address for all four family members. We still would want to list all four family members. Any suggestion on how to address this? For me, it would be great to give the CC user the option to either update existing or create a new contact. Thank you!

CTCT Employee

Hello @RobertB8

Thanks for following up in the Community to discuss having multiple email addresses per contact. Based on the examples you've provided, I can certainly see why you need to have more than one email address per contact. We are currently reviewing our options with this and taking customer feedback to determine if this is something we will add back. 

I will be more than happy to track your feedback on this and send to the appropriate team for review. Should you have any additional questions or concerns with this, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us. 

Thanks!

Alex S.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted

Hi Alex,

My organization is also interested in having this capability. We need to send license renewal emails companies and some of those companies may have dozens of employees that need to have their licenses renewed. If there is any development on this, please let us know.

Thanks!!

Hi @NHInsuranceDepartment

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this feature. We have submitted this in your account and passed it on to the appropriate teams. While we do not have a time estimate of when it will be available, we would like to help with a workaround. Do these employees all share one company email, or are they all under the same company with separate emails? We have seen in the past where users save employees as separate contacts.

Frankie P.