cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Subscribers Having Unusual First Names

Occasional Participant

New Subscribers Having Unusual First Names

I keep seeing new subscribers on our Updated Subscriber Notices where the first name is in a format such as this: 5aa6eef3a1a1d. The corresponding e-mail addresses are generally reasonable and don't give a "bogus" indication such as a xxxxxx@mail.ru one would.

Are these new subscribers valid? Is the "5aa6eef3a1a1d" format just a machine-generated value placed in a required field when the new subscriber fails to make an entry? Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Valued Contributor

Re: New Subscribers Having Unusual First Names

Nice to know I'm not alone!  I get these ALL the time!  Spam emails - Love to know how to stop them from happening!

Hi @DanD694 and @kinetica

Thank you for reaching out about your contacts! After taking a peek at your account I can see exactly what you're describing. Do you have any sign-up forms online? These contacts are being added by a bot through a sign-up. To help stop this we actually suggest turning on the confirmed opt-in setting in your account. Turning on this setting will require a contact to respond to an email confirmation in order to be added to your list. This in turn will stop the bot address from being added to your account.

Frankie P.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

Thanks - I have been deleting contacts w/strange first names since I saw your reply. However, I just rec'd my Updated Subscriber Notice and saw that people having the first names 5ab2acfe6b39b and 5aaf60a14e44f just unsubscribed. I wouldn't think a bot would unsubscribe. Any chance that these are real contacts that didn't enter a first name when signing up? Thanks!

Hi @DanD694

That's a great question! These contacts are generally a mix of valid and invalid email addresses being added in by an internet bot. Because of this, if you were to send an email to them these valid email addresses do have the option to unsubscribe. However if this is something you would like to discuss further I would suggest reaching out to our Account Review department directly. A member of this support team can help answer questions on this more in depth and help you take steps to protect your account.

Frankie P.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

Thanks Frankie.

The wording in your 3/15 response suggested that all of these unusual first named contacts was from bot activity and based on that, I decided to simply remove them periodically instead of inconvenience the real new contacts with another e-mail and reply in order to receive their 10% discount code. Now that you're telling me some of our new contacts will be valid, we will need to revisit our approach.

CTCT Employee

@DanD694

I would definitely suggest reaching out to our Account Review department directly. Our Account Review department does have available weekend hours for you to reach them at your convenience.

Please also let us know if there is anything else we can do for you. Thank you and enjoy your weekend!

Taryn Leinweber