cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New editing interface is terrible! How can I...

New editing interface is terrible! How can I...

Hi, fortunately I only saw the interface when i went to update our welcome letter, which is virtually never used. But I hope you will not force this on us! Specific issue: I cannot get my social media icons/links to show up in a row. In my current footer there are 5 icons in a row inside a text block, each linked to the right place. First I tried just copying the block's HTML so as to paste it into a block in the welcome email, but... there is no way I can find to toggle to HTML view! (that's what I really need, in case I want to move other content to a new template in the future). So then I tried placing the 5 icons next to each other so I can re-build the links, and there is no way to do that either! If I put in an image, it makes a new block which is not what I want. AND there is no way to control image size if you're putting it into a text block, unless you fake it out by putting in spaces and then changing the text size. And then the next image makes a new block, so it's useless anyway. So bottom line, the new interface is snazzy looking but gives MUCH less control. I want more, rather than less control! (For example, paragraph spacing options, more control over spacing around images, additional divider lines that are simple lines with variable color, but responsive to screen size. And more.) Please let us know your plans for the new interface. If it's not going to improve and is going to be forced on us, I need to search for an alternative.
7 REPLIES
All Star

Re: New editing interface is terrible! How can I...

I just "upgraded" to the 3rd generation editor, and I totally agree with this.

In our newsletter, we have a row of 5 quicklinks near the top, which were set up in a 1-row x 5-column table.

There is apparently no way whatsoever in the new editor to do this!!!

After a lot of tweaking, I realized the only way I could do this was to have a 3-column block, followed by a 2-column block. Now the thing is that there is MUCH TOO MUCH SPACE between those 2 blocks! And the text in one of the blocks carries over to a second line, which increases the vertical footprint of section even more! I could theoretically fix this by decreasing the text size from 14 to 13, but to make it look right I'd have to decrease the text in all 5 blocks, which increases the white space even more! And I can't even change it to 13-point, because that's not an option (only 12 or 14)!

I could also possibly fix this by increasing the width of one just of the three blocks, but that doesn't seem possible either. And even though the promo material says something about changing the padding, I can't seem to do that either -- every time I try to grab the edge of a block to change its size, I end up just inadvertently moving around to the wrong place instead!

CTCT Employee

Hello @SusanB26. Thank you so much for coming into the Community and for providing us with feedback on our third-generation editor. This is a new editor for many of our customers and we are constantly making updates to it, thanks to the feedback given to us just like yours. Here are a few helpful links that may provide more information on how to work in our third-generation editor:

Welcome to the Third-generation Editor [Video]

Moving from the Second-Generation Editor to the Third-Generation Editor

Insert or Remove Social Media Icons in the Third-Generation Editor

Add or Remove Images in the Third-Generation Editor

You can see any updates that we make to our editor by clicking the bell icon in the top right corner of your account or visiting our Product News board where we post monthly Release Notes.

Caitlin M
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
CTCT Employee

Hello @TempleAliyah. At this time, the most number of columns that an email created in the third-generation editor can have is three. I can certainly understand how having more columns would be useful when creating a menu bar of quicklinks. At this time, you cannot adjust the padding around a text block but you can adjust the size of the column if you have chosen a two or three-column layout. Here is a link to an article from our Knowledge Base that describes how to adjust the size of a column in the third-generation editor. Hope this helps!

Caitlin M

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!

Thank you for sharing the solution to the social icon issue. But I often need to tweak the HTML to correct font and other sticky formatting issues that arise. My HTML ability is up to tweaking, but not creating the whole message in HTML. So if this capability isn't restored if/when we are forced to move to the new interface, my organization will be moving to another vendor -- after at least 15 years of 1-4 messages per week! After posting my original message I researched more on your forum, and find that I have quite alot of company in asking for restoration of the ability to see/edit the HTML of a message that was created within a template using your WYSIWYG editor. BTW, I work with many programs, and have never seen a WYSIWYG editor that doesn't allow you to toggle to HTML view. I hope your company will give serious consideration to bringing it back.

We converted to 3rd gen today specifically for the tag functionality.  I have been very excited about the ability to "narrow down" lists with the tags etc..  Unfortunately, without the ability to edit in html and or use custom art with exact dimensions...heck, I can't even create a table with 4 columns.  I assumed that the next generation of editors would at least have the functionality of the previous editor.  I am going to have to go back to using the previous editor.  

You can go back?

Thank,

Mikey

CTCT Employee

Hey @SusanB26,

Thank you for the feedback! I completely understand that being able to tweak the HTML code as needed is a valuable feature for your emails. We track the amount of requests we receive for features such as this and send it over to our developers. I will be sure to track your request! =) Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

Desi_B

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
CTCT Employee

Hey @LisaS07,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I'm happy to hear that you're excited about using our Tag system! I apologize that some of those features are not offered in the new editor. If you would like to continue using our older editor, you can create copies of your previous campaigns and keep on editing from there!

Desi_B

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!