cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal greetings (customized) for shared email address

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

Personal greetings (customized) for shared email address

I hope someone sees this on a public forum. I don't know if I should call personally and explain. Dilemma: 1 single email address for a couple who share. For some emails, they should ONLY go to the 1 partner of the couple. For another list called say "Xmas Card greetings", I want them to both be included by personal greeting. Yet, for each piece of email, I would have to go and change their "name" so it would automatically post the personalized name in the email document. Do you understand what I am saying. The contact list is too large to find everyone's partner and physically add their names so they can be also included in the greeting for the particular campaign I want. Again, there is only 1 email the couple shares. Can this be fixed so spouses can be added on to the contact list and then have the option to include or not in big group mailings? Also, can spouses have their own account that shares the same address as their spouse? I don't think so. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
CTCT Employee

Re: Personal greetings (customized) for shared email address

Updated July 2019:

The information below is outdated. The ability to have multiple contacts with the same email address is no longer available. Instead we suggest using a custom field 

----------

Hi Cheryl!

I am happy to help you out with your dilemma today. This is completely do-able within Constant Contact. What you'll have to do is have two different contact fields. So for example, say you have Mary Smith. Mary Smith can be in the account with the email thesmiths@yahoo.com. Then, you can have a separate contact for John that is John Smith with the same email thesmiths@yahoo.com. Mary can exist in List A, and so can John because our system reads them as separate contacts even though they share the same email address. That way each person can receive personalized emails. 

Melissa M
Community and Social Support Intern

If you find my post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
All Star

Can you explain the steps to add the spouse? i get the concept but don't understand how to make it happen. i tried to manually add the spouse (with the same email as hubby) and give her different tags and that didn't work.

Hi @TheGroveChurch 

We'd be happy to help point you in the right direction for this! I apologize the information in this post is currently outdated. In fact we have updated the answer in this thread to reflect this change. With that said, at this time you are unable to have more than one contact with the same email address. As a workaround you can however create a custom field to track the name of a spouse. You can then insert a contact detail in your email to include these spouse names. Does this help answer your question?

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.