cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Prohibit email list sign ups from event registration

SOLVED
All Star

Prohibit email list sign ups from event registration

QUESTION:

How do I set the options in an event registration so people are not added to my email list (even if they want to be added to the email list through the event registration form)?

BACKGROUND:

When a person registers for an event they are also added to an email list.  On my event registration there is no check in the box in:

Allow registrants to join my contact list 

But people are still getting signed up on my list through the event registration.  

As best as I can see that is what is happening and how the forms are set.  

The reason I don't want event registrants to be added to the email list is that I need them to provide more information than a name and email. And I don't want people who are already on my email list to be required to provide phone and address info each time they register for an event every month and sometimes twice a month, because I already have that information.   I don't want to make giving that extra information optional on the event registration form because new people would tend to provide only name and email, so I want that information to be required as it is on the email list sign up form.

As you can see I have no knowledge of how the event registration forms are associated with the email lists!! 

Thanks for any help.

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Prohibit email list sign ups from event registration

Hi @JohnB866

Thank you for sharing these details here in the Community! I can definitely understand how helpful it would be for these contacts to not be added into your account. I apologize at this time there is not a way to stop this as their email addresses are required for sending notifications on your event. Although these email addresses are added, they are set to no permission. This contact status will cause them to receive no other emails outside of your events. If you are looking to collect more information from these contacts, I would suggest adding a link to your sign-up form in your Registration Notification. I would like to also mention the information of contacts already in your account will not pre-populate in a registration form either. I apologize for any inconvenience not having these features may cause. In fact, I have submitted your feedback on this in your account.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

I apologize for not responding sooner. I read your helpful response immediately after you wrote it and I understood it, but didn’t think my event registrations were working as you described (foolish me!).

Before responding to you I wanted to check my list and investigate if simply signing up for the event allowed people to receive other emails. I still thought people were receiving other emails and that I needed to find out what I had done to allow it. And I haven’t had the time to look into all that until now. I thought I would need to ask you some additional questions.

But no, after taking the time tonight to examine my list, past events, and doing a test registration, my list operates exactly as you described! I had not checked something by mistake that was allowing them to receive other emails.

I wanted to thank you for you answer. And yes I need to decide on the best way to give them a way to subscribe the regular way where they must confirm their sign up. Your options on how to do that is very helpful.

PS On a completely unrelated topic I just began using the resend to nonopeners feature after x number of days. It increased opens from 45% to 55% on our small noncommercial list for a special interest newsletter. An effortless way to get a good increase in opens. I am very glad I started using it. We usually have had some personal contact with most people on our small list – they typically find us first. I think the boost in opens with resend to nonopeners shows that people who know us and at one point wanted more information don’t check their mail often and our emails simply slide down their inbox to where they don’t see them.

Thanks again for excellent service.

CTCT Employee

Hi @JohnB866 

We are so glad that the suggestions provided solved the issue and gave you the resources you needed. Please feel free to reach out anytime. Thank you for choosing Constant Contact. Have a great day!

Adrienne B.
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!