cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove v. Unsubscribe v. Delete

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

Remove v. Unsubscribe v. Delete

When managing bounces, we used to have the option of either unsubscribing a contact or removing them from our list. Now we can only unsubscribe them.  That's horrible.  If I go to the Contacts section, prior to actually going into a contact's record, there is an option to Delete a contact.  What does Deleting do?  Is it removing or unsubscribing.  Once in a contact's record, it appears the only option is to unsubscribe.  This is getting really difficult to figure out.

7 REPLIES 7
CTCT Employee

Re: Remove v. Unsubscribe v. Delete

Hi. I'm sorry for the confusion. In the new Contacts system, deleting has replaced removing. Our system defaults to deleting and unsubscribing the contacts that bounce so that you don't accidentally add them back in. If you want to delete your bounced contacs instead of unsubscribing them, you can use the tagging feature.

1. On the bounce report, select the contacts you want to delete.
  2. At the top, click on Manage Tags.
  3. Click "Create a new tag" and type in a tag name.
  4. Click Create, and then click Apply.
  5. Go to the main Contacts page.
  6. Click on the tag on the bottom left.
  7. Check off the Select All check box.
  8. Click on More Actions, and choose Delete.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this process.

Jeff Gilson
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Occasional Contributor

That's a ridiculous solution.  I tested it out and it worked, but the extra steps needed to just remove a contact without unsubscribing them is silly.   CC is assuming users are incapable of making correct choices.  I'm sure you have reports showing that it may have been an issue in the past but as an ecommerce manager, I know that the majority of the mistakes that users make are issues with the way a website is structured and it's content that dont lead the user to the correct path.  Instead of making the process more cumbersome by forcing the tagging of contacts that one wants to "remove" a better option would be to give both a remove and unsubscribe option as you previously did with better definitions and a verification pop-up as the safe guard. 

I think if CC nomenclature was more standardized and clear then removing and accidentally re-adding contacts would be less of an issue.  As an example, with the new UI, within the Contacts area if I select one or more contacts and hit "Delete" your saying that I am actually unsubscribing them.  However, you say that if I tag them first and then hit "Delete" from within a tag list I'm "removing" them and not unsubscribing them.  And then within Bounce Management, "remove" now has the definition of "unsubscribe".  Shouldn't "Delete", Remove" and Unsubscribe" have some common meaning across CC contact management processes?

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Hi Braeside,

We appreciate your feedback on these issues. I have logged your recommendations and have passed them along the the engineering team. We continue to make improvements on the product so this feedback is very important and valuable to us. Thank you for it and I'm glad you were able to find a solution. 

Bria
Social Support and Community

Does your unsubscribed list need to be deleted? If so, is there a danger of re-emailing them if that list is deleted?

Hi @CCDOC. No, you do not need to delete your unsubscribed addresses. When a contact unsubscribes from your emails, our system updates their status and they cannot be added to any lists unless they sign up to receive your emails. Even if you delete unsubscribed addresses from your account, they will still remain as unsubscribed. 

Caitlin M.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.

Hi,

If we are not deleting, is Constant Contact still charging us for these contacts as part of their tiered payment programs?

Thank you,

CTCT Employee

Hello @KateB92,

You are only billed for your Active contacts. For this reason, we also recommend regularly removing people who do not engage with your content and deleting or unsubscribing bounced addresses

When a contact uses the SafeUnsubscribe link at the bottom of every email received, they are taken out of all lists and set aside in your contacts. We maintain the list of unsubbed people on your account for your own information. This way, if they change their minds and reach out to you to be resubscribed, you can resubscribe them. Additionally, if you re-upload an unsubscribed contact, even after deleting them, they will go right back into the unsubscribed area. As such, we do not charge you for unsubscribed contacts, as they are not Active. 

For more information, I'd recommend checking out this article on unsubscribes and what to do with th...

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reply to this thread or open a new one, and we'd be happy to assist.

William D

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.