cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tonight from 11:00 PM - 12:00 AM ET we need to make a few updates to our site.
We recommend finishing up your work before 11:00 PM and logging in after 12:00 AM.
Thank you for your patience while we make these important updates.

Trying to Prevent Duplicate Emails being Sent

Trying to Prevent Duplicate Emails being Sent

We send the same campaign out "FROM" several sales agents, so that our cleints get a familiar name in their inbox instead of "From Marketing".

Each of our Sales Agents have their own contacts Lists.

These lists over lap.

We have decided Which Agent gets to sent to the duplicate contacts.

What is the best way to manage this to make sure we don't send out duplicates of the same email, from different "senders".

Lists?

Tags?

Other Idea?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Trying to Prevent Duplicate Emails being Sent

Hi @EdwardV20. Using a familar From Name is a great way to make your emails more personalized for your clients. In order to create those lists where you wouldn't have any overlap, you can create a copy of a list and then remove any contacts who are on another sales agent's list. Let me give you an example:

Joe Smith is signed up for Agent A and Agent B's list. You can make a copy of Agent A's list using the Add to Lists feature and call it something like Copy of Agent A. Then, go to Agent B's list and remove these contacts from Copy of Agent A using the Remove from Lists feature. You can also repeat this process for Agent B. This way, you can send out the same campaign from Agent A and Agent B and Joe Smith would only receive it once. 

I also did want to let you know that our third-generation editor does have an option to exclude tags when scheduling, which would work for you as well if you tagged your contacts with their sales agent. This editor is not available in your account at the moment, but if you would like to try this out, you can email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with a reference to this post and ask us to activate it for you. 

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

This is great news. Excited to hear when it goes live. I spent this morning creating split lists to avoid an overlap of two campaigns.

While we're on tags. If a client is tagged in one list (call the list Professional List), will that tag carry over to their details if they are also on another list (call the list General List)? It's just that I tagged a stack on people on one list today and I know some are on other lists as well but when I check for who is tagged on those other lists, I can't see that the tag has carried over.

thanks

Trudy

CTCT Employee

Hi @TrudyW9,

If you have a client who has a tag, but is also added to 2 email lists, the tag should carry over on their details so that it should display all the email lists and all the tags that customer is on. However, the tag should not affect either of the email lists unless you select the list and the tag. This way, it will skip anyone who is tagged, and only send your email to everyone else! Here is an article on the difference between lists and tags as well!

As far as managing your tags, you can always click onto the tag and see all the contacts who are also in the same tag. You could do an advanced search if you are looking for people who are on a specific list, and a specific tag as well. If you cant see that a tag has carried over, try refreshing your page, or logging out and back in again to give it time to refresh!

Hayley L
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Highlighted

re: excluding by tag.

I am happy to learn about this feature, but wonder, if you have given us the ability to exclude by Tag, why not also give us the ability to exclue by list? So, for example, I could send to people who are on List A and List C but exclude anyone on List B. That way we don't have to duplicate List names in Tags and/or worry that new list additions or removals did/didn't have their tags updated. (I don't mean to eliminate the Tag feature, rather to expand the functionality of "excluding" groups of contacts to also include lists.)

Thanks.

All Star

Great question about sending to people on list A and C but not if they are also on B. I was just thinking that last night.

As an extension to your question, can we include by tag rather than exclude by tag?

Is there a possibility to only send to specific tags rather than exclude tags? I have tagged important customers (who appear across several lists) and who I may want to offer something special but it seems that I can only exclude these tagged people rather than only select them to make them exclusive customers.

thanks

Trudy

Hello @HMSC,

I think that is a great idea. I just want to confirm that what you're looking for is the ability to exclude any contacts when sending to Lists A and C that also happen to be on List B. So you want to remove the overlap between the three lists. This way you don't have to create a List D that has all the contacts from Lists A and C, minus those that overlap with List B.

Hello @TrudyW9,

You can certainly send to your tags! When scheduling, after you choose which lists you want to send to, there is an option to "Narrow It Down." This gives you the ability to select which tags you want to send to. You will notice the number of recipients who will receive the email will adjust as the tags are chosen.

2017-03-27_18-22-20.png

I just want to clarify that this is a reflection of what you have available in your account at this time. The ability to exclude by tag is not available in all accounts yet.

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

Thanks Nick, you are saying that when I limit by tag, only the tagged peole get my email.

That will be great if this is correct BUT now I am confused because Hayley replied to me previously about tags (a few posts back) and said the opposite (I bold to the bit that seems to conflict with what your thoughts):

"If you have a client who has a tag, but is also added to 2 email lists, the tag should carry over on their details so that it should display all the email lists and all the tags that customer is on. However, the tag should not affect either of the email lists unless you select the list and the tag. This way, it will skip anyone who is tagged, and only send your email to everyone else!"

From what I read from Hayley, when I limit by tag, those tagged people do not get the email. Or I have totally interpreted her message incorrectly?

Hope you can clarify which is correct. Do the "limit by tag" people get the email. Or do these 'limit by tag' people miss out on the email?

Trudy

Hey @TrudyW9,

Great catch! I think Hayley may have been responding on the basis of the "exclude by tag" feature. I apologize for the mix-up. When I reviewed your account I saw that you have our older list picker which only has the option to "include by tag." So at least for now, when you do limit by tag you can rest assured that only the tagged contacts will receive the mailing. Of course, when the "exclude by tag" feature is implemented on all accounts, you will be able to choose whether to include or exclude!

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager