cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off ConstantContact URL, tracking, on Links made in Advanced Editor

SOLVED
Occasional Participant

Turn off ConstantContact URL, tracking, on Links made in Advanced Editor

I'm using the advanced editor to put variables into my links.  It is working great. But when I send the preview they Constant Contact tracking links are there instead of the ones I want.

They work just fine, the recipient will end up at the right URL.

The problem is that many of our customers block links that redirect.  I have to send them directly to the final destination.  I can turn off tracking in the simple editor, but can't figure out how to do it in the Advanced Editor.

Thanks!

Eric

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
CTCT Employee

Re: Turn off ConstantContact URL, tracking, on Links made in Advanced Editor

Hello @EricM57,

Excellent question.  Not having your links reach all of your contacts is absolutely something we would like to help you avoid.  I reached out to our upper level of support and they have told me that this indeed can be done.  I forwarded all of your information and your request to the team and they will be contacting you to assist you with this!

Briody_W
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Occasional Participant

Update:

I chated (using the chat ap) with tech support.

They recommended that I place <a></a> around my link.

That was great for telling their scripts to not replace my link with the tracking link. But, it didn't do the substitution of the recipient's email :-(

Hoping for a better solution.  I want my cake and I need to eat it too: 

1) Do the variable substitution

2) Don't use a tracking URL

Here is the <a> I'm using:

<a href="http://www.padtinc.com?list=simulation&email=$subscriber.email" target="_blank">

Subscribe to Simulation List

</a>

Thanks!

Tags (2)
CTCT Employee

Hello @EricM57,

I apologize for the delay! I see that you had some correspondence with our Tier 2 support. I hope that they were able to get everything taken care of with you.  Let us know if you have any further questions!

Briody_W

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

-------------- SOLUTION ---------------------------

OK, with the help of support I figured out a simple way to do this.

To recap: I want a URL that has a variable substitution in it so that I can have a link that points to a page on my site and I know who is coming.  The solution for this is to use the older "advanced editor" to modify the HTML and get it to recognize the variables. 

My problem is that i also have to turn tracking off!  That is because many of my customers are large corporations that block any link that is a "tracking link."   Bummer for statistics but it is what it is. 

The key is that if you use the advanced editor and HTML, you can not consistently turn off tracking AND get variable substitution.  It is one or the other.  But with XHTML you can delete the <OpenTracking/> tag and you are good to go. 

So here is what works for me:

1. Create my email using the standard editor. Make it all pretty. Put in the links I want without the variables, etc...
  2. Preview that email 
  3. In chrome, use inspect to see the HTML.  Grab the table that I want, right now that is <table class="main-width"...
  4. Copy and paste that to a text file for safe keeping
  5. Create a new campaing, email, and choose custom code.
  6. Go through the little wizard
    1. Give it a title
    2. Chose XHTML (This is critical!!!)
    3. Fill ou the header as appropriate
    4. Personalize
    5. Do the Footer
    6. Don't hit "Save & Next", Click on Save
  7. Choose "Advanced Editor" on the left. 
  8. Delete:
    <OpenTracking/>
  9. Modify your HREF's to have your variable substitution. For me that was:
             <a href="http://www.padtinc.com/optin?list=pd&email=$subscriber.email"> Link</a>

Test it out. Save and Return, Etc....

Probably a better way, but this works. 

Hope this helps someone.  

Eric

Tags (2)
Occasional Participant

Actually, what was suggested didn't work for me. 

What did was switching to XHTML and deleting the tracking tag.

Eric

CTCT Employee

Hello @EricM57,

I'm sorry for the hassle with all of this so far, but I'm glad that you were able to find a solution to your problem.  If you have any further questions, please do let us know and we'll do our best to get you the correct answer.

Aaron H

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!