cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Unwanted Line Breaks

All Star

Unwanted Line Breaks

Quite often, when I save the section of the newsletter in which I am working, an unwanted line break will appear. This may be between paragraphs or right in the middle of a sentence, in a new section box or one I'm editing--I can't find a pattern to it. I am usually unable to remove this space from the text (or if I do, it reappears after the next save) and have to go to the code to remove <div> from the paragraph. Does anybody know why these unnecessary <div>s would be inserting themselves? We are a MAC office and we use Firefox as a browser.

Kate

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Unwanted Line Breaks

Hello @AlanB7. When you are creating your newsletter and you see these unwanted line breaks, are you copying and pasting this text in from another source, like a website or Word? If you are doing this, there is oftentimes some HTML that comes over as well which can cause issues with formatting, just like what you're seeing with the line breaks. What we recommend is that you first paste your text into a text editor. Since you said you are using Macs, use TextEdit. Then, after pasting the text into TextEdit, copy and paste it into your Constant Contact email. This way, any problematic coding is stripped out. Check out this FAQ for more information!

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

No, this is not usually when I'm copying and pasting. I'm aware of that restriction in Constant Contact. The <div> does sometimes occur when I am working in a duplicated box--but I did not have the problem in the original box, so this would still seem to be Constant Contact code working its way into my email.

Your response does make me wonder why it's not an option to have formatting stripped from text we do want to paste? That's a wonderful feature of our website provider, so I know it's a possibility.

Highlighted
Solution Provider

I have had the same problem for a few years now. I use a Mac and Firefox also. I usually see the problem when deleting or adding a few words from a sentence and more often when reformatting from left justification to center justification. Can sometimes strip the line break in html but have found easier to select and remove the offending text including several lines above and below,  run it through a text editor to strip the code, and then replacing the text back into the block. If this doesnt work I either call CC and have you fix it or after hours and on weekends now, delete the offending block and build a new one. This situation can happen in a virgin text block, a block that was copied, or one that has had imported text. And yes Caitlin, we run everything, - except for virgin text - through a text editor to strip code before placing in a block.

I find it interesting - and I do agree with you - that you recommend using a text editor instead of the CC paste option to import/paste text directly into a block without styles. Why?

CTCT Employee

Hello @DaveR7,

Great question!

We recommend using a text editor instead of doing a copy/paste, even when you paste without styles, some HTML code can still be brought over causing formatting issues.  Using a text editor makes sure any hidden HTML code is stripped out when you paste it into our system.

Brittany W
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

I've had the same issue for years, even when creating text from scratch. I get multiple <div> and nbsp tags added. It's really annoying to have to go into the code and fix. 

Hello @BeaverPaper,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. We definitely want to take a closer look. I encourage you to email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, the name of a campaign you are experiencing this issue with, and a reference to this post. With this information we can investigate a little deeper and hopefully understand why this might be occurring. 

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.