cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating a contact instead of CC making a duplicate

Occasional Contributor

Updating a contact instead of CC making a duplicate

We use a donor database that integrates with Constant Contact (CC). The database is the place where we keep all donor information up to date including email addresses. Once we make a change in the database, we instruct it to push changes to CC. Instead of updating the contact CC creates a whole new one. WE DON'T WANT A NEW CONTACT IN CC. We merely want CC to update the existing contact with the new information, including email address, automatically. Is there a simple way of doing this?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Updating a contact instead of CC making a duplicate

Hey @Nibs,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I completely understand that you just want to update the contact information rather than a new one being created and we are determined to help. So after reaching out to my next level of support on this particular issue, they found that the duplication has to do with the plugin you are using to connect Constant Contact and the donor system. Would you mind sending us an email with your username and reference this post so we can discuss in detail? Social_Support(at)constantcontact(dot)com

Desi_B
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Occasional Contributor

I believe you are incorrect. It is Constant Contact that is creating a new contact. We are merely updating each contact with new information such as a change in email address. We should be able to update our database and then “push” the updates to CC without CC creating a whole new contact.
Tags (1)

Hi @Nibs 

I apologize for any confusion our previous response may have caused. Though this new contact is being added in Constant Contact, it is being created and pushed by the plugin you are using. This plugin is also not a connection created or provided by us. Because of this we suggest reaching out to the creator of the plugin to further address this experience. You also have the option of exporting the contacts from the database they are being held in and uploading them as a file which will update the information the existing information.

Frankie.P
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.