cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploaded .jpgs are being recompressed

Occasional Advisor

Uploaded .jpgs are being recompressed

Hi - I noticed this a few weeks ago but when I upload JPGs they seem to be getting another round of compression. Anything with text on it is rendered blotchy and unusable.

If I save the file as PNG and upload it doesn't have this issue.

Likewise if I open the JPG in an editor prior to uploading it, it is fine.

So I can only conclude something is being done to the files when uploading. Any insight?

3 REPLIES 3
CTCT Employee

Re: Uploaded .jpgs are being recompressed

Hello @PeggyM00,

Thank you for coming to the Community with your question. I found a great article for you to take a look at about the recommended file type for your images. If your image has text on it, its best to use a PNG instead of a JPG, as the JPG does not work as well with text, and compresses when uploaded. I hope this helps!

Hayley L
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the response - is there a way to not have the jpgs recompress when uploading? it isn't acceptable for us qualitywise, and we gain filesize per image that is PNG over JPG at the same apparently quality.

I just want to make sure there isn't a setting I am missing, this seems like a fairly recent happening. Thanks!

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Hi @PeggyM00,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your images. One setting to check is the width as the system will automatically compress any image that is over 800 pixels wide. You can also try increasing the resolution (keeping in mind that the file size can't be larger than 5MB.)

If you'd like to send us an email to  social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, a reference to this post, and one or two of the jpgs that are getting compressed during upload we'd be happy to further troubleshoot this for you.

Nichelle M
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.