cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

What has happened to my theme? Loss of functionality, including resizing & labling of images

All Star

What has happened to my theme? Loss of functionality, including resizing & labling of images

I use the theme Comedy Club and suddenly, on all Apple iPhones, it would not display properly in the horizontal mode.  The hard-wired contact info. which should be at the bottom of the email was suddenly appearing randomly in the middle of the page, covering up part of the email.  Then when phone was turned vertically again, the display problem remained!  This "known bug" had not been fixed by CC so this was unpleasant surprise to me but not to them.  But, then again, so many bugs in CC have not been fixed, despite my calling about them for the past three years.  E.g., the whole format of a paragraph falling to bits if one chooses to turn a word a different color or italicize it.

The customer support person for CC took it upon himself to port my theme to the new and supposedly improved CC template (to "fix" the display problem) but pretty much everything about this new interface is inferior.  Most bizarre is the apparent inability to easily insert images where you want them and to add a caption to them.  The only options were to change, copy the image or delete it.  If there is a way to add a caption, choose font and font color, and to indicate how the image should be aligned (center, none, right or left), I cannot figure out where those choices reside.

Has everything been dumbed down because the development team has no idea how to carry over and improve key features?  Or is this something broken in the "port" offered to me?  I'm hoping it's the latter. 

In the old design of the theme one could also easily resize the image and add padding or decrease padding.  The text would then re-wrap to accomodate. That also seems gone.

Additionally, a very nice animated dividing bar in this theme isn't even available as an option anymore.  Comparing old and new options in my theme is like comparing a Tesla (with quirks) to a 2000 VW.

I have no idea if others are experiencing this decrease in functionality in their themes.  Personally, I'm at the point of quitting CC completely.  It has been exhausting and time consuming to work around all the bugs in how the old interface worked and if I cannot easily do things in the new interface that are easily implemented in other presentation software, why would I pay (which has suddenly doubled) for this giant headache?  I'd like to hear from others and the dev team about their experiences.

2 REPLIES 2
All Star

I use the theme Comedy Club and suddenly, on all Apple iPhones, it would not display properly in the horizontal mode.  The hard-wired contact info. which should be at the bottom of the email was suddenly appearing randomly in the middle of the page, covering up part of the email.  Then when phone was turned vertically again, the display problem remained!  This "known bug" had not been fixed by CC so this was unpleasant surprise to me but not to them.  But, then again, so many bugs in CC have not been fixed, despite my calling about them for the past three years.  E.g., the whole format of a paragraph falling to bits if one chooses to turn a word a different color or italicize it.

The customer support person for CC took it upon himself to port my theme to the new and supposedly improved CC template (to "fix" the display problem) but pretty much everything about this new interface is inferior.  Most bizarre is the apparent inability to easily insert images where you want them and to add a caption to them.  The only options were to change, copy the image or delete it.  If there is a way to add a caption, choose font and font color, and to indicate how the image should be aligned (center, none, right or left), I cannot figure out where those choices reside.

Has everything been dumbed down because the development team has no idea how to carry over and improve key features?  Or is this something broken in the "port" offered to me?  I'm hoping it's the latter. 

In the old design of the theme one could also easily resize the image and add padding or decrease padding.  The text would then re-wrap to accomodate. That also seems gone.

Additionally, a very nice animated dividing bar in this theme isn't even available as an option anymore.  Comparing old and new options in my theme is like comparing a Tesla (with quirks) to a 2000 VW.

I have no idea if others are experiencing this decrease in functionality in their themes.  Personally, I'm at the point of quitting CC completely.  It has been exhausting and time consuming to work around all the bugs in how the old interface worked and if I cannot easily do things in the new interface that are easily implemented in other presentation software, why would I pay (which has suddenly doubled) for this giant headache?  I'd like to hear from others and the dev team about their experiences.

Re: What has happened to my theme? Loss of functionality, including resizing & labling of imag

Hello @GenineT,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.  We understand transitioning to a new platform can be difficult and want to set you up for success in using our product going forward. If this is something that would interest you, we could have a Support rep reach out to you and walk through the new editor and answer any questions you might have. Additionally, I will provide helpful tutorial videos and FAQs that might answer your questions as well.

Create an Email Campaign Using the Third-Generation Editor

Add, Arrange, or Delete Build Elements and Layouts in the Third-Generation Editor

Customize an email template and send it out to your lists using the third-generation editor [Video]

Of course I would also like to answer some of your questions to the best of my ability.

A big difference between inserting images in the old editor and the new editor is you don’t have to be inside a block in order to do so. Otherwise, you can drag an image block into the template or look for the specific image under the Images tab (between Build and Colors) and then drag it to the spot you want. Depending on where you want to position the image, it will be marked by a long purple line, short purple line, or a purple square.

You can still wrap the text around a left aligned or right aligned image after placing it in. It will be marked by a small purple ghost square when dragging the image block toward the top left or right of a block of text. If you want it centered you can just drag the image block above a text block and it will be marked by a long, horizontal purple line.

Instead of going into the Insert Image window to adjust the image size you will see a small blue box with a double white arrow in the bottom right corner of the image. Click and drag outward to increase the size of the image or drag inward to decrease.

At this time there isn’t a way to add caption text to an image in the new editor. This is valuable feedback I will pass to the product teams. Depending on how you have the image inserted with the text you can put an additional text block below the image that could act as caption text. Specifically, when the image is force aligned to the left or the right but without text wrapping (you will know if a picture is forced to the left or right when dragging the block over it will appear as a thin purple line on the left or right side of the template).

pic 1.png

The padding has been simplified so you either turn it on or off. When you right-click on the inserted image it should show as the last option. If you wish to still be able to control the degree of padding, I will certainly pass this feedback along.

pic 2.png

pic 3.png

I took a look at the rebuilt template in your account and I did see they were able to re-insert the animated divider bar for you. In general, animated .gif images will still work in the new editor.

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.