cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

What is a parsing error

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

What is a parsing error

I'm wasting a lot of time trying to make an email. When trying to save a block, I get this message: "Your changes cannot be saved. Error: a parsing error occurred while trying to update block." Anyone know what this is?
7 REPLIES 7
CTCT Employee

Re: What is a parsing error

Hello @JensJ3 , 

A parsing error in a block is typically an issue with the HTML Code of the block.  There are a few reasons this can happen.  One of the most common ways to fix this is to Clear Styles in the entire block.  This should put the code back to the default for the template.  By clearing styles you might need to re-format the text (i.e. font, size, style).  

If you are copying and pasting into the block there could be some coding behind the text that you are pasting.  If you take the text and place it into a basic text editor (like Notepad) it strips out most of the extra code.  You can also set your Options to Paste Without Styles to help.  

Let us know if this helps or not.  

I'm having the same issue and I've tried all the things mentioned (clear styles, paste contents into Notepad to get rid of some code) and I'm still getting the parsing error message. :frown:

@Samantha_O wrote:

Hello @JensJ3 , 

A parsing error in a block is typically an issue with the HTML Code of the block.  There are a few reasons this can happen.  One of the most common ways to fix this is to Clear Styles in the entire block.  This should put the code back to the default for the template.  By clearing styles you might need to re-format the text (i.e. font, size, style).  

If you are copying and pasting into the block there could be some coding behind the text that you are pasting.  If you take the text and place it into a basic text editor (like Notepad) it strips out most of the extra code.  You can also set your Options to Paste Without Styles to help.  

@Samantha_O wrote:

Hello @JensJ3 , 

Honored Contributor

HI @AudraF2

I'm sorry that you were having difficulty within the product and receiving a parsing error. I see that you called in and spoke to one of our Support Reps who was able to help you out and get this rectified.

What was she able to do to fix this for you?

I'm sorry, but I have been using Constant Constact for years and the "parsing errors" and HTML codes simply need to be updated, and that is not OUR JOB. We are paying for a service, and should not be hooked into having to pay for technical support.

You hire employees - why not update the HTML to make sense for professionals who put spaces between paragraphs. It should take "anyone" an hour to put out a simple announcement on an email for an event or update.

Hi @MaureenR1. I do apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused you. We are constantly looking to improve our product and I can certainly provide feedback for you.

In the meantime, the above suggestions from Samantha help many customers who have this error message appear when creating emails, especially if their text is being pasted into the email. I can also suggest starting over with a fresh new block if you continue to have trouble working in a particular block. This way, you'll know that everything is clean and there shouldn't be anything preventing you from saving the block if you are entering the text correctly. 

We are here to assist you here in the Community and also through our Support line if you need immediate assistance if you do experience this issue. 

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

This did not answer the question

Tags (2)

Hello @EricaB096,

I apologize if there was any confusion. If you're referring to the question of, "What is a parsing error?" it is simply the messaging that occurs when incompatible HTML code interacts with the existing HTML code of a block in our editor. This usually happens when a user copies content from Word documents, websites, or emails they have received. 

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.