cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Does An Autoresponder Cause a Bounce

Occasional Participant

Why Does An Autoresponder Cause a Bounce

I am new to CC - previously using a competitor for about 6 years.

In my first major mailing - I had a large number of bounces caused by auto-responders indicating that the person was out of their office (several of whom were attending a training conference I was hosting). Why does an "out of the office" auto-responder cause a bounce? I am unnecessarily losing emails over this - particularly if these folks always have their auto-responder on.

7 REPLIES
CTCT Employee

Re: Why Does An Autoresponder Cause a Bounce

Hey @CurtV1,

I'd be happy to shed some light on the issue today! I assume you are referring to the customers who have a status of "Vacation/ Auto Reply". When our system sends to an email address and it is rejected or sent back to us, it will give us a reason that the server rejected the email. I understand the need to reach those customers consistently! I would recommend also giving our Deliver-ability team a call and they can go over all bounced email addresses and see what needs to be done differently to avoid them bouncing. 1-866-433-8499

Desi_B
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I will call - but it does not make sense to me. Some people always have an auto-responder on - all the time. These folks will cause a false-positive bounce every time I or some other Constant Contact user sends them an email... and eventually will result in a hard bounce... The result is I lose a customer.

Am I missing something? If not please explain why this is necessary?

CTCT Employee

Hi @CurtV1,

Thank you for your reply. The reason why we list auto-replies as bounces is to notify that we received something when we tried to send the email campaign to the email client. It gives the possibility for you to want to follow-up with your contacts later on. Hypothetically, if you knew one of the contacts was on a vacation for a week or so, you could perform a quick-send to that particular contact down the line after their vacation has ended. If you want more information on this, I would suggest to give our Deliverability department a call so that they explain this further for you. Their contact information can be found by clicking here. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Lucas_D

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
Occasional Participant

I did speak to them and they assured me that continued bounces due to an autoresponder would not lead to a suspension or hard bounce. That was my concern. I assume you concur?

Also - since I already receive the autoresponder messages myself - in my own inbox - why would Constant Contact feel the need to let me know A SECOND TIME in this awkward sort of way that requires me to search through my bounces? You make it sound like you are doing me a favor... you are not doing me a favor - by any stretch. I just want to be sure I am not going to end up losing good contacts simply because they always have their autoresponders on (for what ever reason that may be).

CTCT Employee

Hello @CurtV1,

Thank you for your reply.

If a contact continues to bounce from any campaign as non-existent or undeliverable it will be suspended. The details on this type of action can be found here.

-Curtis P

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Occasional Participant

OK... I am an attorney but not a trial attorney... but let me see if I can phrase my questions in such a way that they can be answered YES or NO.

Please do not answer questions I do not ask... or partially answer tangential questions raised by my questions. Also - "I don't know" is an acceptable alternative to yes or no:

1. If a current contact has their autoresponder on 100% of the time indicating that they received my message and will respond soon (which is currently causing a bounce), will that contact eventually become placed in a status which I can no longer email them using Constant Contact?

2. If a current contact is a contact of another Constant Contact customer - and that other customer sends out "spamy" emails that get blocked... will I be prohibited from sending that contact emails through Constant Contact?

As i said, I am not a trial attorney. Those cats have a way of making it so crystal clear what they are asking that the rest of the legal world stands in awe... but hopefully you get my point.

CTCT Employee

Hi @CurtV1

I'm sorry for the confusion regarding your question. Let me see if I can be of assistance. 

A bounce due to an autoresponder will not cause any issue now or down the road where you wouldn't be able to reach that contact. It will not "suspend" the email address. This only occurs if the contact bounces multiple times as nonexistent, no other bounce type would cause it. 

To answer your second question, no a contact will not have trouble receiving your emails due to other accounts. They can unsubscribe from that person's list or mark that email as spam, however, it will have no bearing on the contacts standing in your account. The only way that would occur is if that contact reaches out to Constant Contact directly and requests that they don't receive emails from any Constant Contact customers.

I hope this information is helpful to you and as always please feel free to reach out to us at any time.

Thank you for choosing Constant Contact. Have a great day!

Adrienne B.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!