cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WordPress Integration

SOLVED
Visitor

Why can't CC process Wordpress RSS Feeds?

I am trying to create an RSS newsletter from our Wordpress feed but I keep getting a very vague error "Error: An unexpected error occurred while trying to retrieve the blog data." 

I chatted with a support person who had nothing to offer other than "Constant Contact sometimes doesn't process Wordpress feeds"

Is this true? If not, can I get more information on what's wrong with my feed so I can make this work? Does anyone have any work-arounds?

Feed: http://firedoglake.com/feed

Tags (2)
Honored Contributor

Re: Why can't CC process Wordpress RSS Feeds?

Hi Jane,

I took a look at the URL you gave me and this URL has invalid HTML that is not being recognized by our system.  

Here is a link that will help you with the feed. I apologize for any inconvenience. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Why can't CC process Wordpress RSS Feeds?

Jane,

Use the following link to validate whether or not your RSS Feed is in fact valid.

http://feedvalidator.org/

I'm going to have to say the one you included in your post "is not". I don't think you can blame CTCT on this one.

Tony Schaefer
Accredited CTCT GOLD Solution Provider
Constant Contact All Star 2009-2010-2011-2012
www.cliquemarketing.biz

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

What do you do to improve your email delivery rates?

Most marketers aren't even aware that a lot of their emails end up in Spam folders, get blocked by ISPs, etc. etc.

I have a WordPress ecommerce site, so I send transactional emails from my server (like user signup notifications, order receipts, etc.), so it's crucial that my emails arrive in my customer's inboxes.

Lately I've been pretty much obsessed with improving my email deliverability.

I found https://winning.email, which was useful for helping analyze things in my email header, DNS records, or server config, and helping me fix problems.

Also, I've setup feedback loops (using this list: http://www.port25.com/list-of-curren...fered-at-isps/) with most of the popular email providers, and I’m automatically handling the spam reports (unsubscribing the complainants).

What other suggestions do people have for improving their email delivery rates? :smileyhappy:

Re: What do you do to improve your email delivery rates?

Thanks for sharing these resources, Harold! We've got this FAQ that goes over some of the basics of making sure you are doing everything you can to get your emails delivered. Check it out!

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Honored Contributor

I'm afraid to say that in reality on a shared service provider like CTCT your have little or control over the deliverabilty of your email.

Your email can be send from any of 50 or more IP addresses from servers that are being shared by 1000's of other customers.  Its pot luck actually.

Tony Schaefer
Let us consult with you on your project
Accredited CTCT GOLD Solution Provider
Constant Contact All Star 2009-2010-2011-2012
www.cliquemarketing.biz

Occasional Participant

Yeah good point, Tony.

I was more referring to people that send emails from their own servers, like my situation with my ecommerce site.

Honored Contributor

You're a 1%er around here. 

Occasional Participant

I figured some people might have multiple email solutions

I use paid delivery services like CC for some sites, self-hosted solutions for other sites.

CTCT Employee

Re: WordPress Integration

Hello,

You are able to insert content from your blog into your Constant Contact email campaigns.

If you are using our third generation editor the ‘Read More’ options is a great tool for adding blog content or other web content into your email.  Clicking the "Read More" link will take your contact to the web page so they can read the entire article.  All you need to do is go to the source of your web content and copy (Ctrl + C) the URL you want to include in your email.

Click on our article to see how to do this:

Insert a Customized Read More Layout Using the Third-Generation Editor

If you are using the 2GE editor you can insert the content of up to 15 of your most recent blog posts from your blog's RSS feed into a block of an Email campaign, Event-related email, or Survey invitation. Each post you select includes a link back to your actual blog, and your campaign email's click reports will show which contacts clicked to view the additional blog content.

Note: If your blog has multiple pages, we will only be able to pull posts found on the first page.

To see how this works and to try it yourself click the link below:

Insert Blog Content into a Campaign Email

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!