Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add the forward to a friend feature

SOLVED
Top Answer
Matt_B.
CTCT Employee

Hey all,

I wanted to chime in on this thread regarding the lack of Forward to a Friend in the third-generation editor. The simplest answer is that due to lack of usage in our previous editor (both our users inserting this link, and recipients using this link) we decided not to implement the feature. We also wanted to solve for cases where this feature was used as a workaround (such as getting around possible display issues), with other features or improvements to the editor. With our current editor being under active development, we want to focus on the latest and greatest features that will bring as much value as possible to our users. While I can understand that some users found this feature valuable, our plan is not to rebuild the second-generation editor, but rather to learn from its mistakes/successes to create a new, best-in-class editor.

To address some of the concerns around the lack of this feature:

1. Display concerns: some folks like the peace of mind knowing that users can see a “clean-copy” of their email. As a work-around for this I would recommend including the recently released feature, “View as Webpage”. This will link to the web version of your email without any potential display issues, and it will not have any personal information of the original recipient.
  2. Referrals and new signups: we recommend including a link to a signup form within emails that you’re hoping will be referred along.
  3. Roadmap: we are currently developing a feature called “Social Share Bar” which will enable the ability for emails to be shared on social sites like Facebook and Twitter. This is on par with a feature in our second-generation editor; however we’ll be taking a slightly different approach to how this works and is placed within emails. The hope is that this feature will be another way to get emails shared on more channels and therefore attract more subscribers.

I love all the feedback I’ve been reading on the third-generation editor and the team is looking forward to continuing to deliver awesome new features into 2018. Stay tuned for some great new features coming out first thing in January!

All Star

Re: Can't find the "Forward to A Friend" button or embed code?

If this helps anyone, here's a reply from the helpdesk (summarized)

"We currently have two editors in Constant Contact accounts. The generation 2 editor has the forward to a friend feature but the generation 3 editor does not have that functionality yet, although we are requesting it every time a customer asks for it.  There is no workaround at this time."

Is Constant Contact even developing the email marketing solution further?  I need a better solution than this.

CTCT Employee

Hello Nicole,

Thank you for your feedback. Currently the Forward to a Friend feature is not available in our 3rd Generation Editor. Our engineers are always looking for ways to improve our editor. I have passed along to them that the Forward to a Friend feature is important to you. Right now the only work around would be to instruct your customers to use the Forward button in their email client.

I will be emailing you with more information that is specific to your account.

We love hearing feedback from our customers! Feel free to use the Feedback button on the bottom left of your home page. Let us know what you love and what we can work on!

Anna Davila
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.
Occasional Visitor

Please fix - Please.....  

All Star

Do NOT instruct your customers to use the Forward button in their email client, unless you want to have to sort out mysterious Unsubscribes later.  If Customer A uses their email client's Forward function to send your email to Stranger B, then Stanger B opens the email and clicks the Unsubscribe link, it unsubscribes Customer A.

If you are okay with the instances where that will happen, go ahead and encourage forwards.  Some users don't care, because the instances are few and far between.  Other users who don't know about this issue spend time failing to figure out how Custumer A was unsubscribed, and spend more time failing over and over to simply add Customer A back to their contacts.

Michael

Honored Contributor

One instance when CTCT removed something that wont be missed.
Occasional Contributor

Re: add the forward to a friend feature

How do I add this so recipients can forward campaigns without losing formatting
CTCT Employee

Hi @EstyR,

We are glad you asked about adding the Forward to a Friend Feature in the latest editor. Our Development Team is actively tracking feedback and information on this to determine the best way to approach that feature. Once an update has been made we would be happy to let you know. Thanks!

Ryan Hoffner

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

It looks like people have been asking for this feature for a few years.  Any reason why it is not in place yet?  It is an essential tool for growing our audience, and it is a tool that was included in Constant Contact in the past.

Hello @DebL3. The Forward to a Friend feature is still something that our Product team is tracking but I assure you that they are listening to your feedback along with others who have requested this feature as well. I have submitted your feedback to them and the contact email on your account will receive notification of any updates.

Caitlin M.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Hello,

@DebL3

I would love to follow-up regarding this feature request, and maybe why it's taken longer than hoped to develop. In reality, it was one of the least used features in our previous editor. By that I mean, end users (your recipients) very rarely used the "forward to friend" link, favoring the email client forward instead. For example, more people would use the forward button in, say, Gmail, rather than a forward link in the actual email, or the footer.

Considering some of the other list growth tools we provide (website sign-up forms, Facebook sign-up forms, mobile apps, or just a "Join my List" link in the email), we saw Forward to Friend as the least effective of the bunch. However we've been looking into additional tools and options to help drive growth in new ways, possibly including forward to friend.

Would love to know your thoughts or suggestions!

Matt Breen
Product Manager, Automation