Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add the forward to a friend feature

SOLVED
Top Answer
Matt_B.
CTCT Employee

Hey all,

I wanted to chime in on this thread regarding the lack of Forward to a Friend in the third-generation editor. The simplest answer is that due to lack of usage in our previous editor (both our users inserting this link, and recipients using this link) we decided not to implement the feature. We also wanted to solve for cases where this feature was used as a workaround (such as getting around possible display issues), with other features or improvements to the editor. With our current editor being under active development, we want to focus on the latest and greatest features that will bring as much value as possible to our users. While I can understand that some users found this feature valuable, our plan is not to rebuild the second-generation editor, but rather to learn from its mistakes/successes to create a new, best-in-class editor.

To address some of the concerns around the lack of this feature:

1. Display concerns: some folks like the peace of mind knowing that users can see a “clean-copy” of their email. As a work-around for this I would recommend including the recently released feature, “View as Webpage”. This will link to the web version of your email without any potential display issues, and it will not have any personal information of the original recipient.
  2. Referrals and new signups: we recommend including a link to a signup form within emails that you’re hoping will be referred along.
  3. Roadmap: we are currently developing a feature called “Social Share Bar” which will enable the ability for emails to be shared on social sites like Facebook and Twitter. This is on par with a feature in our second-generation editor; however we’ll be taking a slightly different approach to how this works and is placed within emails. The hope is that this feature will be another way to get emails shared on more channels and therefore attract more subscribers.

I love all the feedback I’ve been reading on the third-generation editor and the team is looking forward to continuing to deliver awesome new features into 2018. Stay tuned for some great new features coming out first thing in January!

Occasional Advisor

Re: add the forward to a friend feature

Many of us on this thread have been pointing out that we are actually LOSING people without this feature. When people forward our emails to people who are not in our database, it can and is considered SPAM. The result is that we lose people who have subscribed because the person forwarded to UNSUBSCRIBES that person and can report us for SPAM. It would be a positive for Constant Comment to consider their loyal customers by adding this feature back in after all this time. Other services offer it. CC should as well.

CTCT Employee

Hello @dorism11,

That is a very good point, and we completely understand why this feature is important. I will also submit your feedback on this and hopefully it will be apart of our product again soon. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, but we do appreciate your feedback very much. Thank you!

Zoe_H
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Valued Contributor

I think it may have been a year or so ago that I first looked into this conversation and at that time it was said that the feature was discontinued because it was very rarely used.

Has something changed in Constant Contact's assessment of this, such that it is seriously being considered to restore the feature? Or is this just one of those canned responses used when people complain  about a feature they want returned?

I don't know about others in the discussion, but I would rather not get replies like this when CC has already decided against a feature. It can be so frustrating.

CTCT Employee

Hello @JulieL34,

You are completely right, it was discontinued because our customers were not using it enough. Through your feedback, it helps us know that enough people will begin to use it if it comes back into our product. We completely understand your frustration and it is a feature that we are submitting feedback on. Thank you for your feedback! Have a great Sunday. 

Zoe_H

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Established Member

Are you looking to have this feature back? I would love to use it too. That would help our campaigns.
Many thanks,
Laura

Hi @PeterD18977

We are looking to collect feedback from customers on this feature. So thank you for sharing your feedback on this here in the Community. We have submitted this feature request in your account to our Product Team. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

Frankie P.

Regular Visitor

A forward to friend feature (and the ability for that friend to subscribe to our email list) would be essential. Is this something that Constant Contact is actually going to work on and release in the near future OR is it still just being discussed with the development team (as it has been for like the past year). 

seems to have a forward to friend feature... may have to move over to them if Constant Contact doesn't implement this extremely useful feature. 

Hi @AlexE63

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this! A feature like this is being reviewed, however it was not a highly used feature in our Second Generation Editor. In the meantime we have tracked in your account that you are looking for it as well.

Frankie P.

Occasional Advisor

With all due respect, I have a hard time believing that Forward to a Friend was not highly used. Every other platform similar to CC has that. If it wasn't popular, they also would have eliminated it. CC's customers have been begging for it for at least a year. As a business owner, the ongoing requests (begging, actually) should be honored. I am not a software developer but am assured that it would not be a difficult option to add in. If people don't want to use it, it would be their choice. Those of us who want it should have that choice. Again, as a loyal customer.

Hi @dorism11. You noted earlier that you had concerns about contacts being unsubscribed when forwarding an email to a friend. It's a very valid point and I did want to mention that. Although we do not have a workaround to prevent the unsubscribe from happening, there is a message that appears when someone clicks the Unsubscribe link that states "If this isn't your email address you haven't been added to any mailing lists and there is no need to unsubscribe." The original contact's email address appears above the message as well so it is clear that the receiving contact has not been added to any mailing lists. This was put in place to alleviate any confusion when an email is forwarded. 

Caitlin M.