cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

adding second email address to a contact

All Star

adding second email address to a contact

Normally I can click on "Add Another Email Address" on a given contact, but today it's not an option. Why is that, I wonder?
8 REPLIES 8
CTCT Employee

Re: adding second email address to a contact

Hi @LaGuardiaHSPA,

I apologize for any confusion, however, multiple addresses are no longer available for a single contact. Contacts with multiple email addresses have been known to cause issues with our system and this enables us to provide you with a better and more user-friendly experience managing your contacts. You can create an additional contact in your account containing the other email address.

Nichelle M
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.

Hi Nichelle, With the change, what happens to multiple addresses that were previously on a contact's account? Are the secondary email addresses deleted? 

Thank you,

CTCT Employee

Hello @WoodcrestCountryClub,

Great question! With the current update, contacts that had multiple email addresses attached to them will stay grandfathered in that way right now. However, they will eventually be separated in the account as separate contact profiles.

Jonathan Rich

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Occasional Participant

Jonathan, quick question as I know a lot of our subscribers will ask this soon.

You mentioned "However, they will eventually be separated in the account as separate contact profiles." yet wondering how your API will support this back to CRM as I have asked our API team how you all will deal with the timing of Constant Contact's decision to "eventually be separated in the account as separate contact profiles." issue as your API does not support this currently to CRM since you would have same person's name yet 3 emails.

Maybe the best approach is only sync this first email with same name back to CRM and ignore the others to not have duplicated create by this action.

https://community.cazoomi.com/cazoomi/topics/constant-contact-phasing-out-records-with-multiple-emai...

CTCT Employee

Hello @ClintW90418,

Thanks for reaching out. I definitely understand your concern with how this may affect your CRM system's way of processing contacts. When adding the contacts that have more than one email address, you would need to have the email addresses in separate rows and in the same column if you are adding an Excel file. Here is a link our FAQ with more information on the Upcoming Changes to Contacts.

excel_contacts.png

If you are using a CRM system that integrates with Constant Contact, please feel to email us at Social_Support(at)ConstantContact(dot)Com with the name of the integration and any additonal details you may have. We would be happy to take a look.

Jonathan Rich

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Valued Developer

Thanks Jonathan and this would affect all 23 SyncApps and 10k+ subscribers so our support team would love to know how it works with same name in Constant Contact yet 3 separate records to sync to CRM as currently only the 1st email in Constant Contact would sync back using your API.

~Clint
@cazoomi
CTCT Employee

Hi @Cazoomi,

Thanks for the inquiry, Clint! We checked with David Bornstein here at Constant Contact and he explained that because there could legitimately be two different people with the same name (e.g. John Smith), Constant Contact will treat the email address as the unique identifier for contacts, and not the name.

If Cazoomi is using our API to get all contacts on an account affected by this change, where before they would only get one email address and only see one listing for a name in the results, they may now see multiple contacts with the same name but each with a different email address. While this could lead to having multiple records of the same name in a CRM system depending on how this is handled, this change will allow users to see and make changes to all email addresses on an account via our API.

Nothing is changing for how our API functions at this point, however this change will make it so all contacts on an account are visible to the API instead of just one of the email addresses on a contact. Our current API was created to interface with our older contacts system, which did not allow multiple email addresses per contact, so this change actually brings our contacts system and API features closer.

Nichelle M

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.
Highlighted
Valued Developer

Thanks Nichelle_M and I have relayed this to our SyncApps team.

I think your API team will have a best practice on dealing with 3 Contacts with 3 distinct email addresses all integrated back to 1 CRM Contact or Lead via the API.

We'll wait to hear more from your API team on it so our support@cazoomi.com team.

Have a great Holiday:smileyhappy:

~Clint
@cazoomi