Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card payments

Regular Visitor

credit card payments

I will pay the $212 past due 11/16/17. Then I am requesting my account be put on hold and I will reactivate when I am able next mont.

Re: credit card payments

Hello @AndreaS73. In order to suspend your account, you will have to call into our Billing department. You can reach them at 855-229-5506 and they are available from 7am-9pm ET Monday through Friday. Your account will remain open and fully billable until you call in. 

Caitlin M.
Community & Social Media Support

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Anyone can be a marketer! Visit our Blog & Resources page to brush up on the latest tips and tricks.