Occasional Visitor

how do I change an email address?

how do I change an email address?
Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Advisor

Status changed to: Vote for this idea if you agree

Hello,

Thank you for posting. To change an email address for a contact, you will want to locate the contact on the list that they exist on (or search for them) and then click on the name or email address of the contact.

Search_for_contact.png

This will open up their contact details. You will then click on the edit to the right of where the current email address exists. Here, you can update the email address and then click Save.

2018-07-26_10-26-11.png

Eric G.
Community Support
All Star

Re: Status changed to: Vote for this idea if you agree

That works well. Thanks. Now try it on ten contacts from a list that contains a couple hundred entries. Takes a long time, doesn't it? Is there some way to speed this up?

Highlighted
Advisor

Unfortunately, there is not an easier way of doing this in the way of inline editing while looking at the list, however the easiest way to accomplish this would be to search for the contact by the email address or the name. This is assuming that you know their existing information since you're looking to update it (although I know this may not always be the case.)

Eric G.
Community Support
All Star

Good suggestion. Find the ones you want to change by using the search box. It sure beats using the impossible-to-work-with lists of contacts. 

The searching function is actually pretty cool in the new system, at least as far as it goes. You only seem to be able to search in the four fields that are displayed on the screen. Can't search address, for example. Or phone number. But if you know the person's name or email address, you have a decent chance of finding them, at least on a small list. It's hard to see how paying customers will tolerate this lack of important functionality. Compare searching in CTCT with searching in Excel. No contest. 

IMHO CTCT will only be able to recover from this unworkable Contacts system by making it possible for people to download their contacts, make changes and additions to the downloaded list, then upload them in a way that reliably identifies new/changed information, then updates it in your database. When I saw the new non-friendly system that's what I thought I'd do; but neither exporting or importing works with any reliability or functionality, so I'm stuck. 

All Star

I just used the search box method to add 13 new contacts to a mailing list. This task formerly was trivially easy. With the new "system", it took me 22 minutes. I posted a detailed analysis in the Feedback part of the forum.

If simple tasks are this time consuming to do, I don't see much future for the CTCT system. We just don't have the time to mess with you.