cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inserting HTML code

SOLVED

Re: Link to external style sheet

What was the answer?  Do you have to put all of your styles inline in the body of the html or can you actually link to the sytlesheet you use on your website? Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Link to external style sheet

Hi Cedro,

There are many ways to insert styles into your email.  Most of them are outlined here,http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_howto.asp.  However sometimes there could be conflicting issues where you could be using the same ID or class as a web email client.  Therefor the best practice is to use inline styles.  That way there is no chance of conflicting styles.

I hope that helped! We're not trained in html. If you have any questions, please give Support a call at 1-866-289-2101.

All Star

Why does my design always change when I send an e-mail

OK, so here's the problem. I design my e-mail in dreamweaver and paste my html into CC. I look at the preview and it is perfect. I send it to my test accounts and the fonts and sizes are all different. I had my IT guy look at it and this was his response.

Anyway, I've attached the htm file with the modifications (move the sidebar to the right, clean up the code and inserted CSS code) and that was the easy part. I also built the file into a Dreamweaver (DW) template. But I found out that CC seems a little confused by the DW template coding for their xhtml setup which pretty much makes the DW template worthless. In fact, it appears, in their xhtml setup that you have to build a style sheet within CC rather than use an external one or using internal CSS code. In their html setup, however, the internal CSS coding appears to work.

Also, I could not find a way to build a new template in CC. It looks like only they get to do that (for a fee), however, there is an alternative as mentioned below.

So there are two options: 1) Use the attached htm file as a quasi-template and just copy it each time, either in CC or in DW (and cut and paste into CC); or 2) Select one of CC's pre-existing templates and heavily modify it to meet your needs. It then can be copied to each new email and the content changed as necessary. Their templates are easily modified - I'm not sure if you can get it to look exactly like your current format but it could probably be close - it would, however, take some time.

Question 1. Why does it change?
Question 2. Why is this so difficult to do in CC?

I'd appreciate any insight or help that anyone can offer.
Honored Contributor

How do they look in other email clients beside gmail? I would guess CSS related issues are well. It looks like for what you are trying to do that you could just find a CC template, gut in and create one from semi-scratch. Your example isn't very complicated.

Honored Contributor

Unrelated.. With your block design, square photo, right angle columns and banner graphic, I think the sans serifed font looks better than the original one you're trying to use. Personal opinion obviously.

Valued Contributor

There are two issues here. One is the appropriate HTML or XHTML to use in Constant Contact and the other is variations of appearance based on email client. I would suggest you look at FAQ 1984 for common HTML issues and FAQ 1235 regarding XHTML. You might want to further search the FAQ's on "XHTML" and "XHTML". There is lots of information there that might be helpful.

Visitor

I've been very frustrated for the same reason...only I'm using a CC template. In the Preview, it looks perfect. However, when I send it to test emails, the spacing changes, which results in a unformatted, unprofesional looking email! Is this problem specific to CC? I receive dozens of email newsletters, etc. every week and have never recieved a single one that had a formatting or spacing problem.

Honored Contributor

I can't say I have seen that too much. Sticking with the template example what fonts are you using and if you made a list of email clients that were non-conforming what would it look like. Specifically how does it render in Yahoo-Hotmail-GMail-Outlook2003-2007 etc? Another trick you can use if you need to dead match a font selection or text style for branding purposes is to simply use a graphic for that section. I've done that by creating that section in Fireworks and just using it as a graphic insert. Granted you should not have to use this technique for too much, but it sure can get you out the door when your billing by the hour. :-)

Facebook Fanbox html not working

Hi, I'm new to html code and was able to do my first newsletter with a Facebook Fanbox in it to promote our business.
All I did was cut and paste the html code from facebook and inserted it and it worked!

I went to do our next e-news and copied the e-news template to find that this section was now not working???  I'm not sure why, as the Facebook code works on my website and all I'm doing is copying and pasting into constant contact? 

Any help please?

Code below...all it does in constant contact is show up a one line hyperlink to my business's facebook page, but it doesn't show the "fan box" that is working on my website.  So I'm presuming the code is right, but something has changed with constant contact or something else?

thanks in advance!

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://static.ak.connect.facebook.com/js/api_lib/v0.4/FeatureLoader.js.php/en_US"></script><script type="text/javascript">FB.init("8f06482fbb8870c39cabc9196ce29013");</script><fb:fan profile_id="55149299606" stream="1" connections="10" width="300"></fb:fan><div style="font-size:8px; padding-left:10px"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/ZenergyGroup">Zenergy: Personal Fitness Training on Facebook</a> </div>

Valued Contributor

Facebook Fanbox html not working

Javascript is not supported in email. This is not a Constant Contact issue, but rather the nature of email. FB is not a valid html tag.

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!