cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

long emails getting clipped in Gmail

Occasional Contributor

long emails getting clipped in Gmail

Hi, 

I'm noticing that long/big emails get clipped, or don't show up at all in Gmail. That sucks but could be made less frustrating if I knew how long was too long. Currently, I have to create the email then keep sending out tests to see if I've reached the limit. Sometimes having to remove sections and basically completely rewrite & reformat my email if it's over the max.  

Is there a way fo us to know when we've reached the max size? 

19 REPLIES 19
CTCT Employee

Re: long emails getting clipped in Gmail

Hello @naturalresources,

I am sorry that your emails are being clipped in Gmail. From the information available, I can see that Gmail clips emails at: "102 KB in size or too long in length". I don't see a specific height that would be considered "too long", but if you send test emails that should give you a good idea whether your email will be clipped.

I would also recommend viewing this article, as it lists the limitations for many email clients.

Jordan E
Community & Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media. Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing and social media combined!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

How can I see what size the email is before we send it? Is there anything your developers can add to warn us that we are reaching the threshold? Having to send multiple test emails to double check that it hasn't gotten too long is tedious.   

I want to also mention that sometimes the whole email is not visible it's not just partially clipped. 

Tags (1)

Hello @naturalresources,

I can understand how saving time from sending test emails would be beneficial. We do not have the ability to check the size of the email at this time. It's definitely a great idea and one I will submit to our developers for review. 

If the whole email is not visible I would check to see if you have "Conversations" set on Gmail. The "Conversations" view groups all emails with the same subject line together in one thread and as the thread grows it's possible it might not display some or all of the email until you click on a link to expand it. If this is not the case I would email us at social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com with your username, a screen shot example of what you're seeing in Gmail, the name of the campaign you are experiencing this issue in, and a reference to this post. We will use the information you provide to investigate and work toward a resolution.

Nick S.
Social Media & Content Manager

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

Agreed!  It is so frustrating to have to clip, condense and dump my photos and my message. It is a giant waste of time to send test after test, delete and send again.  I do not believe that it is a Conversations Setting problem, because I am the first and only person in the conversation. This has never happened until this week and last week.  Constant Contact - please tell me what is going on!  Thanks for your time - but really - please do address this issue effectively. 

Tags (3)
CTCT Employee

Hello @TobieC7,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to hear that you have to remove some information from your email so that it does not clip. The clipping process occurs within the Gmail client once the email has reached a certain size. At this time the best workaround would be to condense your email, I apologize for the inconvenience. I will make sure to track this information and pass along the feedback to the correct team for review. In the meantime, you can send tests of you email to your Gmail client to see whether your email is being clipped. Please let us know if there is any additional feedback that you would like to address. 

Tiago_R

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Increase your profitability by integrating your email marketing and social media.  Download this guide and learn how you can achieve great results with email marketing
All Star

We sent a test email today and it was not clipped. When the final version went out a few minutes later it was clipped. So suggesting that we send test emails first doesn't necessarily help if it's not happening with those. Very frustrating!

Tags (4)
CTCT Employee

Hello @RobertaH585,

That's very unusual.  Most email clients choose when and where to clip an email, based on an algorithm that compares the safety of the email, to the amount of HTML coding inside it.  If the the same email was sent to the same address with no changes, in theory it should have been clipped the same way both times.  One thing that might have happened though, is if you receive a number of emails that are exactly the same, sometimes they will be put into a 'Conversation' which looks very similar to when the email is clipped.  This would only happen to someone that had received a number of emails with the same subject line though, so it shouldn't have happened to the majority of your contacts who weren't also receiving the tests.  Our emails that start with 'Your campaign has been sent' also have a larger amount of content than the original email, which could have caused those to be clipped as well.

Aaron_H.

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as an "Accepted Solution" by clicking the Accept as Solution button in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

You're not alone on your email marketing journey. Connect with a Marketing Advisor to see how they can help you develop the right strategy for your business and get the most out of your Constant Contact experience.
All Star

It was clipped for everyone when it was finally sent, not just those who received the test email. The people who received the test email did not see any clipping whatsoever.

Tags (2)
CTCT Employee

Hello @RobertaH585,

That's very unusual that the clipping would only happen on the live send with no other changes.  We'll be happy to look into that further though, if you send us an email to social_support(at)constantcontact(dot)com, with your username, and which email was clipped only in the live send, we can take a look and collect some information to pass on to the engineers.

Aaron_H.