cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Suspended" Bounces

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

You suspended contact with no previous bounces...

George Dockter in my Group4 List you have as suspended. I looked through the last 2 years of our emails sent to him that you provide and there are NO previous bounces. George opens some of the emails and last ordered from us on 4/27/15. Why have you suspended his email? I have been removing these in the past because you say you suspend email addresses because they are bouncing repeatedly.
Tags (2)

Re: You suspended contact with no previous bounces...

Hi @ElizabethR197

Thanks for posting. It's possible that another Constant Contact user was sending to this email address and caused your email to be the second bounce. The bounce setting applies to all users. Have you tried emailing this address outside of Constant Contact? If so, please ask the contact to reply to you. If you are able to send and recieve from this address you can give a call to our delivery team for help getting this sorted out. 

Hannah M.
Community and Social Media Support

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

Are you on Twitter? Follow me here!
Highlighted
All Star

Why did this suspension occur?

A customer said they weren’t receiving our emails. I checked our contacts list and saw they had been bounced as suspended after our first email to them. The explanation was that it “had been bounced multiple times and was no longer deliverable.” This doesn’t make sense. What happened? It was the very FIRST email that had ever been sent to them, in our very first campaign, so how could it have been bounced multiple times?
All Star

Re: Why did this suspension occur?

In addition, this customer WANTS to receive our emails, but since they were suspended, I can't re-enter their address. How can I reinstate them as a contact?

Hi @SusanL268

This is a good question. I apologize for the confusion but will try to explain more for you.

When an address first bounces as non-existent it is placed on a temporary hold for 15 days. If you, or any Constant Contact user tries to send to this address during this window the email will not be sent and the contact will be labeled as "suspended". Once the hold is lifted there is one additional chance given to send to the address. If it bounces as non-existent for the second time (again, from any Constant Contact account) it will be put on an indefefinate hold. The address will continue to show as suspended to any user with the address in their account moving forward.

If the address is actually valid we would request that you email the user outside of Constant Contact and make sure you can get a reply. At this point you can give a call to our Delivery team for help getting the address unblocked so you can email them in the future.

Thanks,

Hannah M.

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

All Star

Thanks for the reply, but it still doesn't make sense. This was our very first campaign, sent May 5. When I look up this particular contact, it has this as the engagement history:

5/5/15 2:04 pm Sent EOLCNY First Announcement

5/5/15 2:04 pm Email bounced as Suspended for EOLCNY First Announcement

How could it be suspended on the very first day it was sent? There does not appear to be any record of a second bounce. (The email is defintely existant, I send other emails to the contact at this address all the time).

HI @SusanL268

Thanks for the details. It sounds like this address was most likely sent to from another Constant Contact user. As I mentioned, if it bounces from any Constant Contact email (your account or not) it would go though this process. Can you give our delivery team a call for help getting it unblocked?

Thanks, 

Hannah M.

Suspended bounces

My Suspended bounces are all due to "On vacation until ..." messages as explanations for the bounces. How do I re-send those contacts the email after they have returned to their offices? Do I have to each address and make a new list?
Tags (3)

Re: Suspended bounces

Hi @ChrisS219

Thanks for posting. If the address is showing as suspended it's not being sent to so it shouldn't send an autoreply. Are you getting the "On Vacation" messages at your reply to address or somewhere else?

Here's an FAQ on how suspended bounces get into this state. If this is how they are bouncing you will have to call out delivery team to be able to email them in the future. 

If the contacts are bouncing as vacation auto-reply you can resend using the resend feature and paste the email addresses in or you can add the bounces to the new list and copy the email.

Thanks,

Hannah M.

Honored Contributor

Re: Suspended account assigned incorrectly.

Hello @JackieG12484

If you are seeing a contact added to the suspend category without first bouncing as non-existent, the contact that you are sending to is most likely within another Constant Contact account where they bounced as non-existent first.  While we do not have a way for you to see whether the contact is on the temporary or permanent part of the suspend, we do have some recommendations.  If the contact has been bouncing for a few campaigns (over more than a two week period), then they are most likely within the permanent suspend state and should be removed from your account.  

If you feel that there is a contact that is bouncing as suspended that should not be, our Delivery team is more than happy to assist you.  They are available currently by phone through calling the main support line and choosing option 2 for "Delivery."

Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!